Headers for 2003 Tundra

I've been searching the aftermarket vendors for a nice set of headers for my

4x4.

So far, TRD has nothing for this application. (I understand that the 2002s won't fit.) They're ridiculously overpriced anyway - especially for non-equal length primaries.

SS Autochrome has a set available in stainless steel, but they haven't responded to my query re smog legal for CA. Also, not equal length.

Downey has a nice looking set, but they aren't stainless. They appear to be equal length, or close to it, which is a big plus. They _say_ they're 50 States smog legal. They offer a ceramic coating for some extra $$.

So far, Downey sounds like the best overall - but I sure wish they were stainless. What say you all? Have I missed something? TIA.

Tom S

Reply to
Tom S

which ever you go for, make sure they have a CARB number. lots of smog shops have to be *shown* that the parts are legal.

Reply to
SoCalMike

I believe that JBA, Downey, and TRD are the only CARB certified headers for the 4.7.

S&S Headers will soon have long-tube headers available for the Tundra, but I don't know if the 2003 will fit. These will not be CARB certified due to the high cost of certification testing. They will be 35-1/2" long primary tubes, new high-flow cats, and replace everything from the heads to the circular joint in front of the muffler.

photo is a pre-production prototype set of headers. S&S Headers is norelation to SSAutochrome.http://www.ssheaders.com/ Ceramic coated headers will keep heat out of the engine compartment and keep heat in the exhaust for better performance. I'd rather have well-coated carbon steel headers than non-coated stainless steel headers, and forget header wrap...it'll allow the metal to overheat and fail.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

The photo is a pre-production prototype set of headers. S&S Headers is no> relation to SSAutochrome.>

Thanks for the good info, Ken. Unfortunately, that first link requires your password and user ID to access on a secure server. :^(

Also, the link on the ssheaders home page for their online catalog is dead.

I may decide to go for the Downey ceramic coated headers. They require some welding to install. Do you know a good local shop (Glendale-Burbank area)? TIA.

Tom S

Reply to
Tom S

Thanks for the tip, Mike. It's been a long time since my hot rod days, and back then the only CARB to worry about sat on top of the ENGINE! :^/

Tom S

Reply to
Tom S

Ceramic coating is definitely the way to go. Preferable from a reputable company like Jet Hot. The only thing that concerns me is the "welding required". That seam is going to be ceramic-free and if it's not stainless then it will rust to high heaven. Stainless will still rust, just not as bad. Is this for some kind of cross-over pipe? If so, what exactly is the purpose of this pipe and what would be the problems with leaving it off?

Bard

> The photo is a pre-production prototype set of headers. S&S Headers isno

Reply to
Bard

S&S is not certified for CA, and due to the costs, will not be.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer