Recommended tires for the Passat 2003 1.8T

Hi,

Before purchasing the Passat 2003 1.8T with 5/speed, i read in some post that certain tires were recommended over the standard 15 inch ones. Can anyone recommend good tires for this model because soon it will be time to change them?

Thank you, George

Reply to
George Bozovic

Check the load rating on tires before buying. Many VWs have

195/65R15 91H tires instead of 195/65R15 89H tires. The 91 vs. 89 is the load rating. Note that some brands / models of tires come in both 91 and 89 load rating versions for the 195/65R15 size.
Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

The default tires are Michelin Radial XSE 195/65R15 with a load rating of 91. When it comes time to replace the tires, which ones would you recommend?

Kind regards, George

Reply to
George Bozovic

You'll have to determine what tire characteristics are best for your driving and preferences. Do you want sportier handling, quieter ride, low rolling resistance (like OEM tires typically have), long tread life, better snow capability, low cost per mile, etc.? You'll have to look up tire reviews to find the best match for your driving.

If you keep the same wheels, you'll want to get the same size and load rating.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

I've got Nokian WR's on my Golf (195/65 R15 91H) they offer excellent wet and good snow grip... and very good grip on dry pavement too... They are considered 4-season tires. On our Volvo (also 195/65 R15 91H) we've got Michelin MXV4+ they don't grip as well as the tires on my Golf (especially in winter) but are very good (The Volvo is heavier tho, and the suspension is set up to plow forward "understeer" in hard cornering... so maybe it's the car), and provide a quieter and smoother ride... They are all-season tires, which means they are passable in winter, but not all that good (we use snow tires on this rear drive Volvo). They are wearing very well tho, my WR's, despite having the same "420" wear rating aren't holding up as well as the Michelins (tho it's only the fronts that are wearing out... rear drive cars aren't as abusive on the drive tires it seems).

Our other Golf has Goodyear Eagle LS (OEM - 2003 Golf)- they're terrible... above 100 kph they start to pulsate and shake the car - we had them on the Volvo too, it's a tire issue. Tho they are quiet and smooth, with what seems like tremendous dry weather grip, I just can't recommend them because of their bad ride... They are fairly average in the winter as far as all seasons go, above average in wet weather... but they have a much more unsettled feeling then my excellent WR's - The WR is a real Canadian climate tire i've found - they work well in everything you can throw at them, the downside is they are pretty expensive and they will never last over 100K Kms.... more like 70-90K... much less under hard driving, at least for the drive wheels.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Well, here's a data point FYI: Our 2002 Passat 1.8T was eqipped with P195/65HR-15 Continental ContiTouring Contact CH95 tires. They wear well, handle well and are quiet. Had a flat recently that destroyed one so I bought a new one from tirerack.com for $59 plus shipping.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02
Reply to
William Maslin