high idle when cold is it normal

I just bought my first 4runner, a 1999 Limited. It has 41000 miles, and was previously owned by a very meticulous guy. I'm very happy with it, but just noticed it seems to idle very high when first started, more so than any other fuel injected car I've driven. The previous owner told me it has been this way since he bought it new, and that it is like other Toyotas he's had. This is a 3.4V6, and it idles up around 1300-1400 when first started, and according to him it will idle that way until the temperature gauge starts to noticeable move. It's also my first Toyota and I've only had it three days, and don't have a lot of experience with it yet, but I was just curious if this is normal.

Reply to
Mike S

Die Spammer

I remember that concept, from pre fuel injected systems, but thought that the evolution of carbs to fuel injection, did away with this ability, that it was mostly computer driven.

Reply to
Mike S

My '95 did it when it started to get cold and thru the winter. Suspect its to get engine to efficient operating temperature quicker. After few miles a tap on accelerator at idle would bring it back down. IMHO its normal. Yeah you have FI not carbs -- but there is still an cold idle circuit there.

Reply to
Wolfgang

No if this applies to an EFI rig. I ts not adling as fast as they think, the fan is just noist till the clutch lets go. Its all engineered that way, leave it alone, its fine. 1800 rpm isnt fast at all.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Thanks to all who replied, I'm getting 17.5 mpg, stop and go, and I got 23.5 mpg on a 500 mile highway roundtrip to my son's college last weekend, so I guess everything is fine.

Reply to
Mike S

Wow - I wouldn't touch a thing. My '90 22RE 4cyl 5spd 4Rnr got about that. That's good mileage for a V6 with automatic (assume 2wd). And they complain about SUV gas mileage!

Reply to
Wolfgang

That definitely in rear wheel only. In the Northeast, I expect in a month or so, it'll be full time 4 wheel, most of the time. My wife's a teacher who travels 3 miles each way to school, so I'm going to deal mostly with "city" mileage. The Volvo S90, we got rid of to get the 4runner got 19, but used high octane, so cost wise it's kind of a wash.

Reply to
Mike S