Escort stalls only when AC is OFF!

I have a 95 escort with about 120 K that I bought about a month ago. It's a 1.9L, fuel injected, manual trans. It was running great until
a couple of days ago when it started stalling if it idles for more than 30 seconds or so (which it does frequently because I deliver newspapers with it) It idles at about 500 rpm (this seemed low to me - that's what it was doing when I bought it - is it ok?) It idles fine for 20 seconds or so, then the idle speed will quickly drop to near 0 then back up to 500 several times before it finally stalls. At first I was very confused about why this was happening only at 3 am while I was delivering papers, but this morning I discovered that it only stalls when the AC is off. If I leave on the AC, it idles just fine - still at 500 rpm, but it holds steady and doesn't drop. Thanks for any help.
<snip>

The idle can't be adjusted. It's automatically controlled. Only the throttle stop can be adjusted. If this causes the idle to change, there is a problem with the Idle Air Control valve, it's harness, or the Powertrain Control Module.
Clean the throttle body, throttle plate, and IAC with intake air system cleaner and a small nylon detailing brush and see if that helps.

I like Scott's answer better! But I had suspected that the idle couldn't be adjusted. Unfortunately the response from saeengineer is way over my head...it doesn't sound to complicated, except that I don't know enough about cars to be able to find those parts!

Crap Master wrote:

Maybe you could just get a new, non-delivery job?
Seriously, though, if you want to fix this yourself, go buy a repair manual for your car and get well-versed on what components relate to this problem. If it is beyond your mechanical ability, I would suggest having a professional fixing it for you.
Scott
On 29 Jul 2003 17:46:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Crap Master) wrote:

:)
There should be nothing difficult about disconnecting the hose from the throttle body, getting some Intake Air System cleaner (carb cleaner) and using it to clean the throttle body. Just keep in mind that what you are doing will flood the engine. When you put the hose back on and try to start the vehicle that you hold the gas pedal to the floor when cranking until it starts. You will get lots of black smoke when it starts and it may run rough at first. I also would suggest a spark plug change after the cleaning.
A service manual for the vehicle would be well worth the cost if you plan on doing work on this vehicle yourself.
Good luck.
Thanks for the additional information. I think this is a job I can handle! I struggle with wanting to be able to fix my own car, and I have really enjoyed doing the very few things that I've taken care of myself, but I'm also a real wimp about it!
Incidentally, I realized this morning, now that it's cooled off and I don't need the AC on, that it's not having on the AC that will prevent it from stalling, it's just the fan. As long as I kept the fan running - AC or heat or whatever, the idle holds steady.
Anyway, thanks again!
(Crap Master)