1996 Camry V6 - High Idle when cold

I bought this car for my son 3-4 months ago. It runs great and has plenty of power. My complaint is that when first started the engine will idle in excess of 2000 rpm. Until it warms up a bit, there's nothing you can do to get the engine speed down. Patting the accelerator does little or no good. You just have to stick it in gear and go. After driving a few miles and bringing the temperature up, it will then idle around 750-800 rpm, maybe still a tad high but perfectly acceptable. I've never had the engine check for trouble codes, but the check engine light has never come on. Any suggestions on what to look for or a course of action. Opinions please.

Reply to
Steve Murphree

If idle wasn't messed with you may have a vacuum leak. Also check the idle air control (IAC) valve. Most are stuck for low rpm but some maybe for high rpm.

Steve Murphree wrote:

Reply to
johngdole