Intermittent airbag light

We just bought a 1999 Tacoma Extra Cab with driver and passenger airbags and are experiencing an intermittent warning light in the instrument cluster. Has anyone else experienced this problem? The manuals I have looked at so far only give information on how the system works. With a big warning on waiting 90 seconds after you take off the negative battery cable before messing with any connectors,etc.

Jarhead

Reply to
Jarhead

You need a scan tool to read the code(s) to be able to diagnose the problem.

Reply to
Mike

I'm assuming you're talking about the air bag warning light. If so, even after waiting make sure no one is in front of the air bag, including you, if you're working on an air bag or wiring. Tales of being triggered by static electricity or stored electrical charge in capacitors are common. They may be urban legends but with the stored energy and known damage they can do, don't take a chance. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Thanks for the replies; we were told that a low or marginal voltage might cause the problem so we cleaned the battery terminals and made sure all grounds were good and it hasn't acted up since then. (two days)

Jarhead

Reply to
Jarhead