Latest Mis-Leading Tundra Commercial

That sure was a lot of data in your last message. But there's still some important data missing. You still can't show data which indicates how many people buy trucks "just to have", vs those who buy them because of their work. That data would also need to be broken down by brand. You've made claims which require this data in order to be believable, but you've never shown the data. That's probably because such data doesn't exist.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You have to look at the big picture.

Consider that people shopping for a vehicle at a Ford dealer will often purchase the F150 rather than one of Ford's rather poor sedans, coupes, or SUVs. That's how you end up with the F150 often being the "best selling vehicle in the U.S." No one thinks that all those buyers are contractors; those F150s are the daily commute vehicle for most of the buyers.

People shopping for a vehicle at a Toyota dealer have a selection of excellent cars, trucks, and SUVs. Few Toyota buyers are going to choose a large pickup truck, with its rather poor MPG, as a passenger vehicle for daily use. That's why Tundra buyers tend to be people that are using their trucks for real work, not weekend warriors hauling bags of potting soil home from Lowe's or Home Depot.

The market for personal vehicles is much larger than the market for real work trucks, that's why the F150 sells well.

Reply to
SMS

Maybe, but without data (which doesn't exist), your theories do nothing but invite yet another detour in the discussion. Hunter should come along shortly, sputtering & drooling with another of his drunken, misspelled opinions.

But still, there will be no data. There may be a few dealerships where real sales training is done, and the salespeople proactively ask buyers how they plan on using their trucks. But we'll never know because nobody polls car salesmen on this subject. I wish somebody would prove me wrong, though. It would mean that there was more sales professionalism in the car business than previously thought. That would be a win-win situation in so many ways.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

This is sort of weird logic.

It seems to me you are saying - People decide they want a Ford, they go to the Ford dealer, and the only decent vehcile is an F150, so they buy it. They don't consider cars from other manufacturers, only Ford, so they feel stuck with F150s. Do you think this is reasonable?

Don't you think it is more likely, that for whatever reason a large number of people decide they want a truck, and then once they decide they want a truck, a large percentage decide to buy a Ford F150? This seems much more likely to me.

In the last 5 years I have bought five new vehicles (three for me and two for children). Three were cars (Mustang, Fusion, Mazda3) and two were trucks (Frontier, F150). I didn't start out looking to buy a car (say the Fusion) and end up in an F150. I wanted/needed a car and bought a car that I thought best meet the need (or want). Likewise when I decided to get a new farm truck, I looked around and bought a truck. I didn't go to the Toyota dealer and think, hey, they have great cars, I'll buy one. No, I looked at their trucks, and Ford's, and Nissan's, and bought a Nissan (and then after 3 years decided I hated it and bought a Ford).

I can buy the arguement that until recently Ford's car offereings were not as attractive relative to their trucks as offering from other manufacturers, and therefore Ford sales were skewed to trucks (i.e., a larger percetnage of Ford's total sales were trucks than cars). I can't buy the arguement that the F150 is the best selling vehicle becasue it is Ford's only decent offering.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

You are confused, the frame on domestic trucks do not rust away. Toyota did what it did because the number of trucks, with seriously rusting frames made of Japanese steel, were approaching a NHTSA required safety recall. For Toyota to have yet another serious safety recall would make for more bad press. That why they stepped up to keep the shark layers at bay.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Does Dana use Japanese steel in its frames?

Reply to
Ray O

No, Dana Holding Corporation (Toledo OH) sells frames manufactured in both the US and Mexico. I highly doubt they're inporting Japanese steel for this purpose.

Reply to
Rhon Wite

That's kind of what I thought...

Reply to
Ray O

That is odd when I drive I see 30+ year old Chevy, GMC, Ford and a Dodge once in a while. Chevy PU's from 73-87 are everywhere, the 88-98 are too as well as the newr chevys I see 80-86 Fords, 87-97 fords and up. Dodges are mostly 94 and up, with a few older 88-ish with a cummins. I do see a few 89-94 Toy PU. The truck they should have kept building. I see a few Pre-Ranger Mazda PU But very few nissans.

Reply to
I'm Right

Toyota really hit their stride with Tundra. It's rather over-built, but that's why it lasts so long. If you want something that's just "good enough" but cheaper truck that will last 1/3 as long. The Tundra has a stronger frame and thicker steel throughout. But it goes beyond just the design, Toyotas are also more reliable, repairs are reasonably priced, and parts availability is excellent.

Reply to
SMS

That may be your opinion but please tell us what if the color of the sky in your world? LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

roses are red violets are purple sugar is sweet and so's maple surple!

-little bobby dylan

Reply to
someone

----- Original Message ----- From: "SMS" Newsgroups: alt.autos,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks Sent: Friday, October 30, 2009 4:27 AM Subject: Re: Latest Mis-Leading Tundra Commercial

Over built? Overbuilt for what - carrying a couple of bags of groceries? Seriously, have you actually driven a current style Tundra? It is clearly inferior to anything form Ford or Chevy or even Dodge. You might be able to convince me it is superior to the Titan, but even that is doubtful. The Tundra isn't even as good as the Tacoma. It is the worst Toyota vehicle in at least a decade. If you were honest, you'd have to admit it was a massive screw-up. It still baffles me Toyota's management would spend so much money and end up with a POS like the Tundra. The only stride Toyota hit with the Tundra was a header off a cliff.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

What characteristics of THE RIDE provide clues about the heftiness of the frame, or other aspects of how it's built?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

but, but, I went to Home Depot this morning and all I seen on the lot were a couple of late model Fords PU's several beat up older Fords PU's and a couple chevs. Not a Tundra to be found.

Reply to
dbu`

Yes, that's the big problem with the Tundra; Toyota built a heavy duty truck for commercial use, not a truck that was intended to be a substitute for a passenger car like GM, Ford, and Dodge have been doing (since they make all their money from such vehicles).

On Saturday I was at Home Depot. There were four trucks with racks parked by the large roll-up door by the lumber and building materials section being loaded up with supplies by contractors. Three were Tundras of various vintage, one was a Ford F150. Then I went to Trader Joe's across the street and counted trucks, three Fords, one Chevy, one Dodge, and one Tundra.

To make a long story short, it's very clear that the Tundra is being purchased by companies and individuals that actually need a truck to do work, not just for going around town. They can't afford to buy a less reliable, less capable truck because any tiny savings in initial price would be lost many times over in the future.

Perhaps Toyota is missing out on a profitable market segment by not building a car-like full-size truck. They probably are reluctant to build a light-duty full size truck because they don't see that as a market that they could easily take away from Ford in the areas of the country where such vehicles are used as passenger cars.

Reply to
SMS

and how do amerikan manus handle rusting frames. they leave them in your driveway

Reply to
M. Balmer

check your math

Reply to
M. Balmer

The way the pick-up bed flexs on a slightly rough road. Tundras beds flex like crazy.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White