Re: 91 SR5 4x4 won't turn over

Susan wrote: ... > It makes me sick. The only people who should have older cars are > people who know how to work on them. Taking an old car to a shop, > especially if you are a woman, is almost a guarantee of getting ripped > off, even when you educate yourself to avoid it!

Well, that's mostly true. However, it has nothing to do with being a woman. And, it's a lesson most of us have learned.

And, educating yourself CAN help. You're learning about "standard practices" in the industry, the hard way, by examining the bloody pieces left after surgery. Only a custom, specialty shop will "spec" rebuild your starter. A mainline shop will replace it with a good rebuilt, for the flat rate. Done deed. You're lucky it's not a Delco-Remy replacement!

Reply to
Jeff

....and the part they replaced will hopefully have a 1 year replacement warranty. I paid 142.00 for a starter 9 months ago and replaced it just yesterday. They called the warranty exchange done under the term "defective replacement". The knuckle-busting location of the starter on my 2000 Maxima did not add to the joy of working in a church parking lot with little light. The only shop here in Wichita that rebuilt starters (and generators) often did so while you waited. Rickets Rebuilders closed shop about 15 years ago due to competition from south of the border. But there was something good about sitting there at the tin covered front bench talking with the guy who cracked the starter apart and replaced or reworked your own unit.

Reply to
Oldphart

That's news to me. Even the guy I argued with (the go-between) understood that a rebuild means plunger, brushes and contacts, not "just the contacts" though he did say that that was how it was done back in the day. Apparently these days they only replace what's worn. IOW, the rebuilder saves money on parts, charges you the same amount as if everything was replaced, and the thing is more likely to break again sooner, bringing you back [to someone if not them] for more repairs... It is a much better strategy for the auto industry and much worse for the consumer. And it is not a rebuild! Only a part replacement.

I can't wait til nanotechnology builds engines out of materials that self-repair. (Yes, that's actually coming, but not soon enough!) A good auto mechanic is a gem, but they are too few and far between.

I don't feel lucky having paid $225 for $11 contacts, but I'll take your word for it. :)

Oh man, how odd, just when you were talking about starters here! Did you have any idea it was going bad on you?

That does NOT sound fun!

What a visual. There are many things progress has brought that are great, but much we have lost along the way too.

Reply to
Susan