maintenance schedule

I have always over maintained my vehicles, however I have some issues with the schedule for my 2WD 2003 Tacoma and have been considering changing it.

The Trans oil, Diff oil, clutch and brake fluid are easy. The book calls for them NOT be changed ever. The oils I will maybe change at 50k miles and the fluids at 5 years.

My issue is really with the wheel bearing grease. It is scheduled to be changed every 2 years or 30 k miles. My vehicle never goes in the water, we have no snow, therefore no road salt. I do not tow anything and the most weight I ever load in the bed is 500 lbs and that may occur once or twice a year. Even 30 k miles sounds a little frequent, but the "or 24 months" I simply do not understand. Now I have 17 k miles and my 3 year service is coming due. I have not yet cleaned/repack them.

Thoughts?

Reply to
Paul

Hi Paul your on the right track I usually do auto's every 20k Km (I'm not sure about these life time auto trans) and manuals and diffs 100k Km. Brake and clutch fluid I do every two years regardless of mileage due to moisture ingress unless you have access to a brake fluid testing gauge. As for bearing I'd certainly check them for wear and noise, it's not too much trouble to take the outer one out and check if you have too. check the fine print on the service schedule first though mine says to do the wheel bearings too at 100K Km but under extreme conditions and goes at lengths to describe the conditions in another section though.

Joe

Reply to
Joe