mechanic broke my brakes?

I took my 97 Tacome to the (only) local mechanic to have new shoes put on the rear brakes. When it came back it had a vibration upon braking. He told me he had turned my drums, so I fugures that they just needed to wear in. Several thousand miles later they still vibrate and the petal pulses whenever I brake.

I decided that I would just fix it myself rather then go mess with them (because several months had passed) so I bought a new set of drums and put them on. Still vibrates. So, I bought new shoes and put them on as well. Still vibrates.

What's left? The only thing I can think of is that they bent something beating on it to remove the drums when they first removed them. How do you fix that?

The ironic thing is that I took it to a mechanic because I had never done drum brakes before. I wish I had just done it myself the first time now, because I have essentially done the job I paid them for again trying to fix the job I paid them for.

TIA for any advice.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Elkins

My experience with has always told me that if your brake pedal is pulsing when applying the brakes, your FRONT rotors are warped. The majority of your braking is done with the front brakes (I beleive it is somewhere around 70-80%). I would check the front brakes and rotors.

Mike

Reply to
wrigley

Check to see if your tires are balanced also. A person I knew had this problem and it turned out that his tires were out of balance. Quite possible the mechanic knocked off a weight when removing and installing your tires.

Reply to
Tony

Nah--it literally developed the same day the 'fixed' the rear brakes. They didn't touch the front ones. Besides, it's obvious that the rear ones are where the vibration is coming from.

Reply to
Sean Elkins

have you even looked at your front brakes?

Sean Elk> In article

"wrigley"

majority of

somewhere

Reply to
rich

Yes, I have. They are fine. The rotors aren't warped and the pads are fine. I had them done about a year before the rear ones and they were smooth and non-vibrating up until the day the rear ones were worked on.

I have examined the rotors. It's not the front breaks.

Reply to
Sean Elkins

"Tony" had writtennews:o1gxd.10611$ snipped-for-privacy@fe04.lga:

AND shocks! Bad shocks will make the wheels hop.

Reply to
Barney

"Tony" had writtennews:o1gxd.10611$ snipped-for-privacy@fe04.lga:

AND shocks! Bad shocks will make the wheels hop.

Reply to
Barney

Let us know if you figure it out. My rear drum brakes vibrate too. But mostly when they are warm like after a panic stop or down a big hill. I had new drums also put on the back, and it helped, but it's still an issue.

I solved some of the problem by putting high peformance pads on the front. With the fronts doing more work, I have less of an issue with the rears.

And before anyone ask, it is the rear that vibrates. I have done all the test. I just don't know why.

Oh, truck is a '93. Eddie

Reply to
Eddie