Need help, 05 Tundra stumbles/vibrates between 50-60, dealer cant fix.

Hello, I have an 05 Tundra DC that about 2 weeks ago developed a stumble/vibration when you accelerate between 50-60mph. At first I thought it was in the driveline but now it feels more like it may be misfiring. I took it to dealer Monday and they kept it 2 days and gave me the same BS they give everytime I have taken anything in "we can not duplicate problem". I went back today and got the service manager to ride with me and he felt it right away. Told me they have another one doing the same thing but did not know what to do about it. Had called toyota and they had no fix. Since I had no check engine light on there was nothing they could do. I did not pay big bucks for this crappy service, would have bought a Ford if I had wanted this. Any help appreicated, very unhappy with the vehicle right now. Closest next dealer is 65 miles away.

Reply to
specman1

First thing I'd do is call the dealer that's 65 miles away and ask to speak to the service manager. Although it's rare, it *is* possible they have a mechanic who's figured out the problem without having Momma Factory help him out.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Call the Toyota Zone people.

Reply to
Skip

I called 2 other dealers and both had not had this problem and would have to look at it. I made another appoinment next tuesday to take it back to first dealer (which will be a waste). Last night I was driving at a steady 55 on a level road with the cc set, started up a slight incline and it stumble/vibrated so bad that I had to floor it to make it up. I noiced this morning when I went to drive it was cold and the idle was very high. I drove it about 5 miles before I noticed it vibrate/stumle. Also wanted to ask other owners if when you are driving above 35 and let off gas do you hear a rear end whine?

Reply to
specman1

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote: snip

snip

Do you top your fuel tank off when filling? This can cause a back-up of fuel into the evap canister and flood the engine under certain conditons. If so, stop filling at the first or second click on the automatic nozzle. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

I have not filled it up in quite awhile, it hurts my feelings (and wallet) real bad. I usually put 25 bucks in it at a time. It is at the dealer right now but I know what they will tell me "can not duplicate the problem" It feels like the older cars I used to own when they had bad plugs or wires. Now days if your cel is not on the techs dont know what to do.

Reply to
specman1

I normally don't let it get tank get real low but was holding out for price to drop but it just kept getting higher. Our gas went to $3.35 a gallon after hurricane Katrina and it cost me almost $60 to fill up. With prices now at slightly over $2.00 it costs over $30 to fill when 1/4 full.

It is at the

You have my sympathy, some intermittant problems can be really hard to find. Maybe you'll get a dedicated tech who will find the problem. If they don't find it, since it could be safety due to stopping or slowing drastically on a high-speed highway, ask them if they'll put a monitor on it. This will capture a time-frame of all the computer data slightly before, at the instant and slightly after you have a problem. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

I get a call from the dealer today, a very rude service writer and tells me my truck is ready.I ask him what was done and all he said was that I would have to talk to service manager, was privilaged information. What the heck does that suppose to mean? He was already gone for the day so I go to get the truck, still doing the same exact thing. GRRR! It feels like it needs a tune up or I have bad gas in it. I have tried different gas and higher octane to no avail. Guess I will have to take a day off work and take it out of town to another dealer. I did notice when I turn off the OD it is more of a bad surge than a vibration then. Feels almost like it is misfiring. The biggest thing is for 10 grand cheaper I could have bought a loaded chevy or Ford but oh no, wanted the Toyota quality. BTW, I also owned a 2000 Sienna that I had a lot of problems with but just figured I got a bad one, would not happen 2 times in a row. Dont know if I can legally post the dealer name but I live in south Georgia.

Reply to
specman1

I would try calling a Toyota dealer in a large metro area and tell them the story. They see alot more trucks. Someone may be willing to talk to you about it.

Lastly, I would write Toyota. Mfg. are very concerned with product performance if you are the demographic they want. I have done alot of consulting with automobile mfg. and a letter to the right person will get you taken care of. I did this for a friend of mine with Chrysler and they flew a mechanic out to her house to take care of her problem for free.

  1. Document your story in as much detail as you can with conversations etc. 2. Find out who is the right person in the Toyota company here in the US (corporate) through web or phone calls. 3. Send them the details with your disappointment. You may be surprised.

Otherwise, set it > I get a call from the dealer today, a very rude service writer and tells

Reply to
Boston dude

I agree with Boston Dude on this. This dealer needs to be shown they can't deal with people this way and get by with it. That's the attitude that drove the Japanese cars into our country to start with, so you know Corperate isn't going to stand for this. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92