No heat

Odd. 90 4'runner.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed some resistance when I moved the temperature slide from left to right.

Now the resistance is gone but I don't necessarily have any heat. I say necessarily because there will be no heat (with slide to the right) but then without doing anything, heat will suddenly be available and adjustable. I can hear deflectors moving underneath the dash when I move the slide.

Pleeeeeeeeese don't tell me it's a problem with the heating core.

Reply to
grinder

hi, I am having the exact same problem. I had to repai one of the flappers for the vents under the dash (because it snapped off), but I still have no heat...actually it is lukewarm. There is hot fluid flow through the heater core, but it isnt making it into the cab...????

Reply to
Toyguy76

Sounds like your problem is relatively simple... Without looking at it, I would guess that your slide is not connecting to the control mechanism..

If that's the case, all you need to do is reconnect the slide to the controls (the easy part)...

To do that however, you'll more than likely have to pop the whole dash to do it since Toyota doesn't make component consoles (the not so easy part)...

-Raksashan

Reply to
Raksashan

The other post said that his slid was giving no resistance when he moved it.... does yours?

If the slide still has resistance, check the duct hoses (leading from the engine/core into the cab)... Last time my heat gave out, the duct had just popped off and cost 79 cents and 10 minutes to fix... a clamp (79 cents at Napa) a screwdriver and a wrench...

If the ducting is still connected (and sealed!), look for a break in them somewhere... a rip or hole could be warming your engine instead of your feet.

-Raksashan

Reply to
Raksashan

Yeah the wire control cable came off (or the plastic clip broke) on the back of the control lever.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I should have explained better. Two weeks ago I experienced a LOT of resistance at a point of about 3/4 of the travel to the right. I don't have that resistance anymore. There is normal resistance now and I can hear the baffles moving when I move the slide.

Having the control disconnected from the control mech would also not address why the heat will suddenly come on (with the slide to the right).

Lastly, I took the dash out once. Never again. It took a week for the cuts on my hands to heal.

Reply to
grinder

The engine has heated so there must be heat available to core. I don't know if it is flowing through the core. The core must be in the cab under the dash - otherwise I don't know how the heat could be transferred to the cab.

Reply to
grinder

When you move the temp slide it moves two cables, one works the baffle controlling airflow over the heater core, the second one works the valve controlling coolant flowing into the heater core. Since you can hear the baffle moving, then most likely you have a problem w/the latter. It's located on the middle top of the firewall in the engine compartment. Get a helper to move the cable while you look at it to see if it is functioning properly. If it isn't working, you can manually open it for the winter and close it for the summer if you don't want to hassle w/fixing it. If it is working, well then I can't help ya. I would do this quick check before anything else. Slik

Reply to
slikrikd

Thanks.

Reply to
grinder

Found the connection in the engine compartment. I was able to create heat by manually moving the slide. So I guess the core is o.k. and the wire is either not attached or broken in the firewall somewhere.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
grinder