Please help with 2004 Sequoia electrical problem

Symptom: The gauge fuse /15A blown almost everytime the engine is cold, fuse popped while gear changed from P to whatever. It seems OK if fuse replaced and it will run, even engine stopped and restarted after that first time! Happens almost every morning and maybe any other time if the car parked for more than one hour.

possible causes:

  1. Had CircuitCity installed a Camry OEM navigation unit into my Sequoia. The nav works fine no matter what for more than 6 months now.
  2. Had a Eccipse reverse camera installed about the same time (slightly after) the nav. It burnt after about one week later since then I only have a "cosmetic" reverse camera on.
  3. The gauge fuse blown first time about one month ago, replaced and lasted OK for about one month until two days ago.
  4. The light bulb behind the gear indicator on instrument panel went out. Got a bulb from dealer and installed by my self. At the same time, I retighten two light bulbs behind the universal garage door button. Nothing else was done, at least I did not intend to. But one screw fasten the nav unit bracket "fell" somewhere inside under the nav...
  5. Since this light bulb installed, I had four fuses blown already. Not sure if this is related.

Conclusion/Puzzles to solve,

  1. Dealer said there must be a short circuit somewhere and it may take a lot of time to do the research and $$$. Question is why the short only happens when the car is cold? Dealer further said the short may happen (from loose wires touching) while car is in motion BUT it never happened to me while car is driving....
  2. Will that lost create all this problem and only while car is cold?
  3. Is it possible the battery or some kind of electrical relay sending a super strong current to burn the fuse? I guessed this way because it happens only after the car sat more than one hour or so. Once it is released, it is fine...

Thank you for sharing info

Reply to
harry

Try to isolate the problem by elimination. Wiring problems are usually caused by installation of non-original equipment or accidents. The original wiring for a vehicle is very dependable.

Entirely disconnect all wires going into the navigation system and the reverse camera. You don't have to remove them, just disconnect the wires.

If that solves the problem, you are making headway. Plug in the navigation system and see if the problem reappears. Keep going until you can isolate the problem to a specific connection and then investigate that whole installation.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress. Remember, people learn from others experience.

Paul. Phoenix

harry wrote:

Reply to
paul.blomberg