Price of a 22R rebuild?

My 86 PU still runs good at 285K-miles, but it is burning a fair amount of oil, say 1qt every 500 miles or so. It doesn't smoke, but obviously I love my truck, and want it right. I'm guessing only the top end needs work.

I've gotten a wide variety of quotes on getting the engine rebuilt. I'd prefer a rebuild of the actual engine rather than a crate job. Never had good luck with those in the past.

Any idea what it should cost? Should I even bother? The oil consumption doesn't seem to be getting noticably worse, and you can buy a lot of oil for the price of a rebuild....

Reply to
Yost

I'd suspect a leak rather than burning. That's fairly high oil consumption without smoking.

max-income Every day is a good day- it's just that some are better than others.

Reply to
max-income

Reply to
Nathan

My '84 had 240k when the head went. My mechanic said I should rebuild the lower end while we had it apart, but lacking funds I declined. I should have done what he said because it cost extra to take it apart again. If you rebuild it, also replace the oil pump, crank bearings and rings, along with honing or boring depending on wear. The water pump and the timing chain and basically all moving parts should be replaced if you take the engine apart. The cylinder pressure should be the deciding factor for rebuild. Mine was

99 psi. Toyota said it shouldn't even run below 125 psi, but it did. I had to downshift to take overpasses. My mechanic sayes that it now has the best epa specs he has ever seen. It is running very clean and strong. Since I took the engine apart twice I basically paid $1,500.00 twice. I suppose it would have cost me around 2,000-2,500 to do it the first time through a reliable mechanic. I have a good relationship with mine though I have to watch him like a hawk. I had the clutch rebuilt too.
Reply to
Brad Taylor

Here in El Paso, TX I had a 22re head and block machined, all new lower end, pistons, rings, bearings, ect.. done by OK Machine Shop for about $90 for the head and $400 for the block. Checker's Felpro Full gasket Kit $100, thermostat and oil pressure sending unit, oil and filter, coolant, new alt belt, ect $60. Ebay seller partsdinosaur, new oil pump, steel backed timing kit and new timing cover for $150. That brought me to about $800 on the basic build, then took the money I saved and bought LC Engineering's EFI Power Package $895 came with new cam, headers, overbored throttle body, and K&N filtercharger. Then new 2 1/2 inch exhaust free flow cat, and Masterflow muffler from Ernie's Muffler $240. About $2000 for an engine that runs SUPER. Not one problem in the 20k I've clocked since May 2003. Checker Auto has a block from Evergreen cost me about $550 w/ exchange. Runs just fine in my other yota. Basic Yota parts are super cheap but you gotta know where to shop, spend the extra cash get the bottom end done, but don't get suckered in to paying too much. 22rs are simple engines and the basic parts will be just fine for a daily driver.

-FROST-

Reply to
frost203

A guy I talked to last week got his 22RE engine rebuilt AT A DEALER here in Portland, OR for $2300. I am assuming valve job, rings, bearings, chain, gaskets (don't know about oil and water pumps -- would hope so). The block stayed in the truck, so it was honed. Had 200k miles.

Jim Andrus

Reply to
James Andrus