SL1 1.9 Oil Burner

I understand this is a common problem. Does anyone have any success dealing with the dealer on this issue? Mine is going through a quart in 250 miles, with only 50,000 miles on the car and impecable service records.

Thanks.

Fred

Reply to
No1z fool

'93 SL2 120K miles, was burning 1 qt. every 500 miles. Several years ago, the dealer paid 1/2 the cost of the engine rebuild after performing an oil consumption test and after being reminded (backed by maint. records) that increasing oil consumption had been reported for a long time.

Good luck. Bill Davis '93 SL2, 2005 ION2

Reply to
Bill Davis

oil consumption was a known issue with some 1st (and some 2nd) gen twin cams. I'm not familiar with this being the same issue with SOHC engines. A qt every 250 miles is pretty severe I must say though. What yr. SL1?

marx404

Reply to
marx404

I think he said every 500 miles. But, if you can continue to pass inspections, a buck every 500 miles is pretty cheap compared to an engine rebuild.

Plus, do you think you will every get your money back from an engine rebuild, compared to the cost of the oil, before this engine dies?

Just guessing.....

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME