question for the transmission swappers

I need to replace the vinyl boots around the shifters on an '87 4Runner. How the heck does the gearshift knob come off? Is it driven on or threaded? Not real intuitive here. ( my wife has re-upholstered the console and wants to replace the shifter boots, they look pretty bad)

Reply to
rj

Should screw on and off, at least they do on my '85.

Reply to
Roger Brown

OEM is threaded; aftermarket knobs tend to be pushed on and have a set-screw.

It is a good length of thread; you may have to turn considerably longer than you think.

I've seen lots of nice, hand-made, leather shifter boots, and they're fairly easy to construct over the existing square spring-steel frame. You'll want to pull it up and inside-out to cut the strap holding the top of the leather to the shaft.

good luck! GTr

- -

gregory trimper