Help - Replacing bracket assembly for pedals

I own an 1989 Toyota 4x4 pickup with 250K miles. The bracket assembly that holds the brake and clutch pedals has cracked/broken from wear, and the clutch pedal is almost touching the floor.

I've heard this problem is common among the Toyota pickup, 4-runner, T100 and Tacomas. I purchased the replacement bracket from Toyota for $125. So far, I've removed the lower part of the dash and an air vent to get at the bracket.

Has anyone done this replacment before? I haven't unscrewed the bracket from the firewall yet because I can't figure out how the bracket will clear the clutch and brake "plungers" that protrude thru the firewall. Any suggestions?

Mr. Toyota dealer wanted a minimum of $375 just for labor!

Reply to
stratajema

That certainly gives me hope! My 89 is at 200k now (slightly more actual miles, as I run oversize tires on it in the winter)

I welded mine in place, as it looks like one has to take the entire dash panel, vents/electrics, brake and clutch cylinders, and possibly loosen the steering column.

YOu'll probably need to unbolt those cylinders and pull them into the engine compartment.

good luck! GTr

- -

gregory trimper