Question on Akebono brakes

About 4 months ago I put Akebono brakes on my Tacoma. And I really like them. I just ordered Akebonos for my wife's SUV. And I have a question about them, that I never figured out from the last install that I did.

On the back of the pads is a plastic coating. And it said something about removing it. I didn't. It didn't seem like something that would easily peel off.

The brakes squeaked like hell, for the first week or so. But they squeaked before I put them in. It was a relief that it stopped. But I always wondered about that plastic backing. Why's it there? And does everyone remove it?

Reply to
JohnB

My 1987 back when Toyota had a brake pad kit had a plastic insulator? that went between the piston and the pad to reduce noise. They no longer sell the complete kit they used to make. No idea bout your pads though.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Not sure about the plastic you had to peel off from the backing plate.

The Akebonos (Pro-act ceramic) excellent stuff, that I got either had the noise shims already applied or in a plastic bag. You take them out of the bag, peel off the sticker paper, and apply the shims onto the back of the pads (onto the backing plate).

I in fact don't used them now. The glue softens and gets messy when I periodically clean them with brake cleaner. So I left them off. Really quiet even without the shims!

So I th> About 4 months ago I put Akebono brakes on my Tacoma. =A0And I really > like them.

Reply to
johngdole

Several manufacturers of break pads now have the backs of the pads covered with a light adheasive; that adheasive is protected with a plastic film that gets peeled off before installing. This just makes it easier to put the pads in the calipers before fitting the calipers over the rotar. On my Toyota 1992 pickup I cannot get the pads installed without removing the break calipers, and having the pads stick in place was a help.

Reply to
Desertphile

The new brakes came in today. These are for a Hyundai. And they don't have that plastic film that I had on the pads for the Tacoma. And in looking at the back of the box, I just mis-understood what they were saying the first time around. There's separate instructions for attached noise insulators and non- attached. And apparently the non-attached have the plastic film. In both cases, for me, the noise insulator is attached. It comes with a small tube of Moly lube. Which I guess goes on the back of the noise insulator.

Reply to
JohnB

Yeah, the small tube coats the contact points between the pads and calipers (piston and prong). I just use Permatex synthetic gel. Easier to clean.

Reply to
johngdole