Chassis recall for newer Tacos?

A employee of my local Toyota dealership informed me that my 03 Tacoma could be up for a new recall in the next couple of years. Anyone hear this?

Reply to
Brad P

A link to a posting on the Yahoo Toyotas only group:

ed_herman

Sorry, I didn't realize you had to create an account. Here is the posting:

Yesterday I took my '02 Tacoma Xtra cab V6 in for my annual state safety inspection. The truck has 80,000 original miles on it. I love it. Bad news though - it failed due to frame rust-thru. There are rust holes you could put a small fist in! In addition, the left rear cab mount that is welded to the frame has broken away and that side of the cab settled about one inch relative to everything else. I immediately took it to my local dealer where I had purchased it new. I was advised that the prior '95-'00 Tacoma frame rust problem has now been extended to the '01-'04 model years. There is no buyback provision as with the older vehicles. Instead, Toyota will provide a frame replacement under warranty and extend the frame warranty to 15 years from initial service. This morning I took the truck back to the dealer to have them officially inspect the frame and verify the condition that the independent inspection station found. Of course it was obvious at first glance with the vehicle up on a lift. Toyota has now declared the vehicle UNSAFE TO DRIVE because of this condition. They will order a frame replacement kit today and I expect to have the frame replaced in a couple of weeks. There is one other similar vehicle ahead of me that will be the first such replacement at that dealership. I am concerned about being that much in the front of the pack but at least I'll only be the second guinea pig instead of the first. Oddly enough there is no federal recall, at least at this time. That seems surprising to me since the condition is a serious safety hazard and I would expect there are many Tacoma owners that, like me, know nothing about this problem. I suggest any Tacoma owner with a '95-'04 vehicle get it to the nearest dealer for a frame inspection sooner rather than later. Your safety could be in serious jeopardy otherwise.

Rod

Reply to
ed_herman

I was just going to reply to say I made an acct and saw the post. Thanks for that!

Reply to
Brad P

"Brad P" found these unused words:

You -=could=- also just crawl under and see if you spot -=ANY=- rust.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien