Quick Puff of Smoke During Start

Hi all...

I have a 1988 Toyota 22R pickup, carburated. The "problem" is that when I start the car after it has been cool for a while, I get a quick puff of white smoke from the exhaust. Not bright white smoke however. Would think it might be condensation, however the weather has been quite warm here in Long Island.

I tend to not burn oil all that much...I just added about 3/4 of a quart after 2100 miles. I also did a compression check and all four cylinders are almost at factory specs.

Now this doesnt happen all the time, but was wondering if anyone had similar situation, and what this could be.

TIA

Tom

Reply to
Tom

My 1988 pickup with a 22R does the same thing. I think it's probably valve guide seals. I know that was a symptom on small-block Chevys (265 and up) when their umbrella seals started going away...

I have 178,000 miles on the engine...

Reply to
TOM

Common symptom for worn valve guide stem seals. When stopped overnight, a few drops of oil run down the valve stems and it burns off when started with 'a puff of white smoke'. The car will go for many years like that with no ill effects. This is a recording. ;-)

Don't worry about replacing them /unless/ you need to take the heads apart for other reasons (like a blown head gasket). It's a huge job just to cut down a piddling quart every 3,000 miles oil consumption.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Smoke that lingers as it dissipates or steam that quickly evaporates? Since you're using oil I'd suspect smoke as in the result of worn rings/valves, but nothing to get excited about - how many miles on the odo? I am not a tech.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Yes,I would go with the valve guide seals. Had the same condition on a Chevy Vega. Remember the old Vega. You would pull into a station and say "Fill up the oil & check the gas. (LOL) Stay Kool & Good Luck.....

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN