White Puff of Smoke

If the car has been sitting for a couple of days, upon start-up it will release a puff of white smoke. Just a puff - the more days it was sitting inactive, the bigger the puff. This is 98 turbo . . . I've googled, seems like some people think this is just an extra lean start by the computer, while others think it's the beginning of the end. Any definitive way to know? Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Polk

Change your oil to CASTROL. Mine was doing the same thing, I changed the oil to Castrol 15W40 and the problem is gone.

Reply to
Dick Harder

Synthetic?

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

I'm assuming this is a C/S/V70, in which case the smoke is a small quantity of oil seeping past the valve seals (most common problem). If you switch to synthetic oil you won't see the smoke.

Bob

Reply to
User

A little white smoke under those circumstances should be nothing to worry about. Oil smoke is blue, and coolant smoke is likely to show up more often than that. Unless it smells like antifreeze, don't worry about it.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

It could be condensation burning off in the muffler.

Reply to
zencraps

My wifes car did this at times ,it seems oil had gathering in the Turbo or somewhere .One time it looked very bad and we were concerned ,it turned out a new oxygen sensor fixed it up no smoke now at all.

Reply to
John Robertson