HOW CAN i stop SMOKE ON cold STARTUP OF 98 CAMRY

i have a 98 camry and it blows smoke for about 10 seconds on cold startup, so im thinking about adding an oil additive such as stop smoke etc. which claims to fix valve seals without replacement etc. to my car, do the work or will it f@#% up my car or should i use a $ynthetic oil next time i change the oil .

Reply to
mcknight

My girlfriend's '91 Corolla has been blowing smoke at startup for over 7 years. We decided it wasn't worth $1000 to have the head done. If you want to keep your car for a LONG time, I would belly up to the bar and have it done right. Temporary fixes are just that, I like to think of things in future tense, will I be saying to myself, "Man, I should have had that fixed when I had the money!", or will I be saying, "Damn, I won the lottery, good thing I didn't waste money on that beater!! Where is my limo?"

Reply to
Roy Blankenship

It harms Nothing and is actualy good for the motor. Startup is the hardest few seconds on an engine when the cilinder has no oil.

My 91 always has done it and at its last emissions test it looks like it could go to 400000m before it pollutes past the legal amount.

Did you know many race cars have a oil air pressure assist for startup on race cars. Read up, startup it is said causes 50% of a motors wear, that little bit of oil that leaked by the valve seals and is fumimg like a 2 stroke is free lubrication of your cilinder walls. My 105000m 4 cil burns 1/2 -1 qt in 5000 miles, there is your true indication of an engines condition, that and the pollution test I must do every year.

I actualy like what it does, my plugs burn clean, I burn no more oil than a new car, my compression, milage and pollution test are great. Before catalytic converters many "motor heads" put oil in the gas and it was sold as "Top Oil" for immediate upper end starting lube. Be happy, it actualy helps you.

Reply to
m Ransley

Roy , It is not an issue which has gotten worse over my cars years, it is not an issue unless regular oil consumption increases, even then if consumption increases you must determine if it is not the rings, which because of the lubricating properties of the situation increases the rings life. Think about this, how does a 2 stroke motor lube itself, through the gas, right. Four strokes do it through the oil pump, which is at Zero lb on start up and it takes 3-5 seconds to get that oil pumping. That is also why synthetics and 5-30 is better than 10-30, Startup Starvation.

Reply to
m Ransley

You really are correct about the harm of a cold start-up. Many years ago, Ford did a longevity test in which they ran some new cars continuously for 100,000 miles at speeds averaging 80 mph. The tests were reported in the Society of Automotive Engineers publication. Ford tore down the engines and found that almost every part in every engine was still within factory manufactured specs! Ford concluded that one cold start (below 30 Deg. F) caused about the same wear on a car engine as driving at normal operating temperature from New York to Los Angeles!

Think about that the next time you start you car.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Byrd

On the odd ocassion, a piece of carbon can lodge under a valve-lip,...but its not that common.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

auto-rx.com and Lucas oil stabilizer I'm not convinced the small amount of oil seeping past the valve guide seals overnight has any beneficial effect on lubricating the cylinder walls on cold start. I do suspect it helps carbon foul the oxygen sensor more rapidly, and not sure it helps the catalytic converter either. Lucas clings to parts thereby eliminating dry starts, and for me, stopped the puff of smoke on cold start - haven't seen it for the last

60,000 miles. I also used one bottle of auto-rx first, not sure if that made any difference, but could only help.
Reply to
Daniel

Most likely the valve stem seals are leaking. But it's major work even for those of us who can take care of it. High-mileage oils or oil additives are supposed to help in these situations.

But stem seals aren't the only reason for oil leaks and smoke at start up. Worn piston rings is another. Then there is the early sign of engine sludge, coupled with oil consumption.

For most people fortunately, it's oil stem seals that are leaking.

Reply to
johngdole

Of course it lubricates cilinders, you see the oil smoke, its being burnt off. Since it is a one secnd occurance, the oil is burnt off upon the cilinders first firing, my plugs and sensor are clean Ive seen no il effects. Remember it occurs for a second, it has no comparison to constant oil burning that lowers cilinder temps that fouls and carbons up heads, pistons and plugs. Continous oil burning causes harm.

Reply to
m Ransley

You've got the earlier version engine - maybe yours is different. If it works for you, you're at peace about it, and find no adverse affects, that's fine. Remebering back to when I used to have this problem, it would sometimes last more than a second and great billowing clouds of smoke would appear - I'd guess maybe more like three to five seconds. Then sometimes I wouldn't get it at all. Now it's gone - and I'm glad it's gone. You must use the Microsoft operating sytem "it's not a bug - it's a 'feature.'"

Reply to
Daniel

When I start up my 2 strike lawnmower, boat, blower, weed wacker, they all billow smoke, unless oil consumption is high or your plugs carboned-burn black, there is nothing to worry about. Mine billows for however long, but I burn maybe 1/2 a quart in 3000m, my plugs are near white-a light brown and clean. To read a motors condition plugs are read, not startup smoke from poor valve seals that lasts for a second or

  1. You still worry to much.
Reply to
m Ransley

Mine does it too,..but not that much I see it every time I glance in the mirror.

I had a Chrysler 6 (called a Hemi 6 out here,..a local engine) which blew large embarrassing clouds of smoke,..eventually I replaced the umbrella seals,..an easy job and no more start-up smoke,..then a piston collapsed on a holiday trip. The moral of that lesson was, replacing the valve seals was not a fixall :-)

Jason

Reply to
Jason James