R-22 idle problem

Hello all. I just found this group and hope someone can help. It's an '87 R-22

2bbl. Sat for 2 1/2 years while I was out of work due to illness. It starts fine, idles fine for 5-10 minutes, then idles rough, then dies. The hotter it gets, the worse. I started w/the basics--plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter,air filter, carb cleaner. I am by no means a gearhead, so that's about the limit of my abilities at the moment. I googled the subject on this group, and heard a lot about vacuum hoses and such, but didn't get a feel for a definitive solution. Just today someone mentioned to me that it might be an elecric(or electronic?) idle solenoid on the carb. That ring any bells?

Like I said, I'm no gearhead, and I've been out of work for way too long, so paying a garage isn't a viable option at the moment. If miracles happen, hopefully someone here can offer a simple solution. Or, if there's a mechanic in Central CT who will help me out in exchange for some housepainting, that could work, too.

Thanks in advance,

Drew.

Reply to
Tyedboyne

Glad to hear you're better! Could it be old gas, or water in the gas?

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

Thanks!.

I dunno. But it had half a tank while it sat, and the first thing I did when I revived it was to add some drygas, and then put in a half tank of premium. I've run it down a quarter tank since then, and, like I said, I've read of other folk here w/similar troubles, and none of them mentioned letting the truck sit, or old gas. But if the problem goes away when I'm all the way into an entire tank of fresh, that would be a simple and easy solution. A little too easy for my luck, prob'ly....

Any other Ideas?

Thanks again,

Drew.

Reply to
Tyedboyne

Reply to
Nathan

chamber. Put the air filter back on and fire the engine this may free up

Ok, so to clarify---I should do all of the above with the engine cold? Let it dry before starting?

My '85 FSM states possible cause of rough idle or stall as:

My Haynes book also mentioned the EGR valve as a possible culprit. I was planning to make cleaning the EGR filter my next step--if it ever stops frikkin' raining here.

A-effing-Men!!!

Me too. Many thanks for the advice,

Drew.

Reply to
Tyedboyne

Reply to
Nathan

I had a similar problem. It turned out to be a stuck butterfly.

Den

Nice pics. But if this means I need to dismount and disassemble my carb, I'm SOL. That kinda work is just a leeetle bit beyond my talents.

Drew.

Reply to
Tyedboyne

Hi all, I'm new to this group but I am a bit of a backyard mechanic. I recently bought an

86 runner with the 4y. Had the same problem and it turned out to be the ma> Hello all. I just found this group and hope someone can help. It's an '87 R-22 > 2bbl.
Reply to
kevin fay

These are all great ideas. However, if you started with old gas, you may have a clogged fuel filter. On my truck (84), this item is located in front of the fuel tank and easiest to get to through the right rear wheel well. be prepared to clip off the fuel lines or you'll have gas everywhere. Also, remeber which hose goes to which hole. When my truck runs like this, 9 times out of 10 it is a clogged fuel filter.

Reply to
Brad Taylor

Thanks to all who've replied so far. Here's where I'm at, at the moment.

I totally sprayed down the carb inside&out w/gumout. No help. EGR filter&vacuum line checked out clean.Carb seems nice&tight. Fuel filter was one of the first things I changed, in addition to putting in drygas and a half tank of super, so I don't think stale gas is my problem.

Yesterday I screwed out the dashpot on the carb as far as it would go, and backed out the idle screw on the carb as far as I dared. Now she still idles rough, but isn't stalling like she was. I found a local mechanic in my town who has promised to have a look at it this week. (He's the guy that told me about the idle solenoid) He seems to think that it's that idle solenoid, or maybe the fuse for it. If that doesn't cut it, I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and take it into a shop and prolly pay through the nose, 'cuz this has gone on far enough.

Cheers,

Drew.

Reply to
Tyedboyne