Won't idle. Please help

I have a 71 bug with a 34pict3 carb. When starting in the morning (or after work) it will idle slow and die a few seconds after starting w/o help from the gas pedal. If you give it a little help from the gas peddle , put it in gear and drive it, it will idle fine by the first stop sign a few blocks later.

My question: If it idles fine when warmed up, but not when cold, is it still likely a carb adjustment issue?

I just had an aircooled shop do a valve adjustment a few hundred miles ago, so they should be set. It otherwise runs great.

Thanks, John

Reply to
Jakalope

Advance the choke setting a bit. Air clnr off, rt side of carb. 3 tiny screws to loosen, then rotate choke element by hand till choke plate closes a bit more.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

watch the post on the generator when using a screw driver to loosen screws....accidental welding can spook ya...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Thanks for the advise guys. You both really helped!

Reply to
Jakalope

Sounds like the auto-choke isn't working properly or needs adjustment.

Jan

Reply to
Kidd

I would also check around for an air leak. maybe the boots on the manifold need a tightening?

Reply to
Crusader george