rad problem, temp spikes then drops

replaced thermostat on 92 22re, top up antifreeze in rad, the rad fills up the overflow rez and spills out. the engine tempgauge gets alomost to the red line as I first start driving then drops really quickly. Anyone have any ideas, airlock?

Reply to
neophyte

Replace the thermostat again. Is it in backwards?

Reply to
Chips

does your top radiator hose get hot??? sounds like a potential head gasket...

Reply to
EasyE

Reply to
neophyte

Symptoms of a blown head gasket would be coolant forced out of the radiator into the resevoir and engine running hot/overheating. Did you have those same symptoms before you replaced the thermostat ?

Reply to
Mike

Just because there is no coolant in the oil/oil in the coolant... don't mean it's not the head gasket... when I blew up my head gasket on my 94' 22re, it was doing exactely that, for a long while before it actually went... the temp would get really hot, and then cool off, then get really hot again... it would fluctuate... Mine did this for months before the head gasket finally went.. Ian

Reply to
EasyE

Reply to
neophyte