Re: Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Protection

>> There has never been a correlation between the number of accidents and >> (safety) inspections, or lack thereof, demonstrated. They are a >> license to steal, however. > >The only advantage to the inspections is that the police have to write a >lot fewer fix-it tickets, so they can be doing other traffic enforcement.

I'm sure you will provide a citation that shows this correlation.

Do any states still have periodic safety inspections?

Certainly. *MANY* do.

When I lived in >Florida and they started doing them it was every six months at first. >Then they changed to every year, then one governor was fed up with them >and got rid of them entirely. You did notice a lot more cars on the road >with burned out lights and rusted out exhaust systems, but as you said, >there's no evidence that the inspections led to fewer accidents.

Yes, as I said, it's a license to steal, but adds nothing demonstrable to safety. A few states have gotten rid of safety inspections for these reasons; no gain, a lot of pain.

Reply to
krw

In my state, Texas, vehicle inspection costs about $35 (assuming nothing is wrong). We've got about 17 million vehicles in the state, so that works out to be about $600 million changing hands each year.

Our Department of Public Safety attributes highway accidents as follows:

3% - Defective equipment (i.e., brakes fail) 3% - Road condistions (i.e., "Bridge Out!") 94% - Driver error

So we spend more than a half-billion dollars to keep the "defective equipment" number at a nominal 3%.

Reply to
HeyBub

No, you haven't. Three percent of your accidents are *still* attributable to defective equipment. You have wasted half a Big one, though. .

Reply to
keith