Re: High milage oil?

The so-called "oil for high mileage engines" is basically just oil blended

> to be at the upper end of the viscosity range for the SAE grade it meets. > Also, it may have some esters in it for mild seal swell. > > If you're not burning any oil, you're probably doing fine as you are. I'd > suggest using the highest viscosity oil permitted in your owner's manual, > probably 10W-30 for your engine, except in cold winter weather. If you are > burning oil, you might give the "high mileage" oil a try next time. > > And try to get off that bad habit of putting money into the oil companies > pockets every 3000 miles. 5000 mile oil change interval with a top quality > conventional oil will work well. > > Ken > > > > > Had a routine oil change today, do it religiously every 3000. 98 taco 6 > cyl, > > 112K, no problems, leaks or anything out of the ordinary. The guy says I > > should be running "high milage oil" What is it thicker or something, > diluted > > with stop leak? Just wondering if there is anything to it. I bought a toy > > thinking something in the oder of 112K was low milage. > > Thanks, > > Mike > > > > > >
Reply to
Mike B

Sometime before my Toyota hit 200K, I started running 20W50 in the warm months and 10W40 in the cold months.

I am sure someone will tell me it was the wrong thing to do; however, it is at 295K now and hasn't started using oil yet.

Oil is pretty darn dirty at 3000 miles - viscosity is probably still okay. I think there are worse things that you could spend your money on. There are a lot of technicians that will tell you 3000 is definitely the magic number. Some are quite emphatic about it. Personally, 5000 has worked okay for me.

Luther

Reply to
Luther

paint thinner to swell the seals

Reply to
rmlishbrook

I recall Consumers Reports (I think) 5 or 10 years ago rebuilt a bunch of well worn NYC cab motors, then ran them for 50kmi. Some they changed various intervals, others not at all. After the 50k they tore them down, and found little if any difference in wear.

I can't find verification for my memory however, so the mileage may be off. I still change mine on a regular basis. I rather miss my '65 Mustang though, since I never had to change oil. I just rotated, what with it leaking almost as fast as I could put in:)

Reply to
Kai Seymour

I have changed the oil in my truck from day 1 at 3000 mi. w/ 10W-30 and thats it. I am at 213k and changing it still at 3000. I think

3000 is the magical number and every Yota should do it.

This truck will last me a life time.

Reply to
D GsKi