Re: My "TOY"...HELP!!

You could have multiple issues. I would first check the coolant. Is it leaking out a hose? Could your water pump be bad? Could even be a head gasket.

The rough idle could be from overheating but it also could be a cracked or broken vacuum line.

Hi guys! > > Yes, I am a girl in need of some help, opinions, info....something about > my truck! > > I have a 94 Toyota Pickup DLX 4cyl. 2.4L. Here is my issue: > I brought my truck to "MIDAS" (stupid move, I know!) a few months back > for an oil change, plugs, exhaust, etc... I mentioned a pinging noise, > thinking it was oil, but after $900 (I KNOW, I got ScReWeD!!!), the > noise was still there! They told me that it was my timing. Anyway, to > make a long story short, my truck died today! Well, it runs, but I am > having major problems & need some help trying to solve it. I WILL NOT > GO BACK TO MIDAS, this I know. My heat has been slowly going for the > last week or so and when I go through drive-thru's, my truck idles like > I'm trying to be cool & race. (NOT!!! Epecially in McDonald's, trying to > get my daughter a Happy Meal!) Today I was taking off from a stop > light & I was in first, it felt like I was trying to take off in 5th! > NO POWER at all!! After revving the hell out of it, it took off. I had > an awful smell & noticed my temp gauge was HOT...then it stalled! It > tried to start it a few times, finally it started after giving it lots > of gas, then it idled sky high & kept jumping back & forth. I have been > told to check my coolant, so I will do that in the morning, but anyone > have any other suggestions on what this could be? I LOVE my truck, but > I can't keep sinking a ton of money into it! PLEASE HELP!!!! > > Sincerely, > Jules =) > >

RG

Thanks for replying! I have not noticed any leaking at all, but I will check the coolant today. I have my fingers crossed that it's not the head gasket! My last Toyota I had, the head gasket blew!!! If the problem isn't solved today, off to the REAL shop it goes!

SUCH A MAJOR HEADACHE!!!

Sincerely, Jules =)

~HAPPY HOLIDAYS!~

Reply to
Kylie--

I would strongly suggest that you begin asking every single person you know if they can recommend a good mechanic, preferably one who is not connected with a dealership. You need someone who, after doing a routine oil change, looks around carefully with a flashlight and says "Here's something to keep an eye on over the next 3 months or so...." And, you need to visit this mechanic 4 times per year.

There *are* some honest ones out there. If you were in Rochester NY, I'd send you to mine.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Ya need to pay close attendtion to the oil (if it looks like chocolate milk -then coolant has gotten in there - blown head gasket or cracked head) -- same thing if there is an oil sheen in the radiator fluid. A real mechanic can do a leak down and compression test. Have you ever drained the radiator, flushed it (chemical cleaner), replaced thermostat and refilled it with antifreese mixture? Add a bottle of Chevron Techron (Target) to gasl to clean the fuel injectors. Find someone to clean the throttle body. You could have a cracked spark plug (Midas = Monkeys) or just a plug wire off/loose (could cause overheating too!). I always use OEM yota plug wires, distr cap and NGK/Nippondenso plugs. Still pinging after the Techron - try a tank of Premium gas --- if not that there is a knock $ensor. Did they mess with timing - and maybe didn't tighten the distributor? There the simple things --- others take a good mechanic to diagnose/fix.

Wolfgang