Re: rough idling on 22re

The ticking and the rough idle could very well be separate problems.Solid

> lifter engines tick-no big deal.Rough idle could be anything, Have someone > diagnostic test it, dont let anyone sell you on a 700 dollar repair unless > you get several opinions.Could simply be plug wires, plugs,vacuum line > fallen off, or even a cracked exhaust manifold-not that big a deal...good > luck.... > > I have a 94 toyota 2WD 22RE pickup with 121k miles on it. Theres a little > ticking noise coming from inside the engine head which is regular and speeds > up and slows down with the engine. The engine bounces around a lot at idle > speed. It's also a lot louder than it was a year or so ago at any speed. All > I want to do is make the engine run quiet and extend its life so it will > last me through 2 years of college. Supposedly 22RE's are very reliable but > I think it's taken some abuse from my other family members who drove it > before me. Considering I only have a little bit of cash (~$100) and a measly > income, what do you think the best approach to solving the problem is? > >

adjust the valve lifters at the cam. see my other post

Reply to
?reality

i hope you're paying attention scott. i drove both of my first 2 toys over 350,000 miles before i got bored with them. I sold them in good condition at a good price. change the oil every 3000 miles. when you change the oil and oil filter, check the fuel and air filters. the fuel filter only costs $5-$7. the air filter is over 20. if you can see daylight thru it when pointing the dirtiest part at the sun, it is okay. you'll have to adjust the valves every 20 or 30 thousand miles. regular maintenance with that engine. in all honesty, if you don't drive it too hard, it'll probably go

200,000 miles the way it is. but if you take care of a toyota, it'll never let you down. honest. I've had fords, mg's, chevy's, jeeps, hondas and datsuns(nissans). nothing is more reliable than toyota
Reply to
?reality

Snips...

You're right about that! The 22R reminds me of a Model A in its simplicity. As you say, a couple of wrenches and other tools and you're set... :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM