Re: Speaker suggestions

rockford fosgate or jbl will give you best bang-for-the-buck

i put pioneers up front and polk in rears of my 96' 4runner, each set has it's own amp under the driver front seat. alot cleaner than oem with some "small" bass (you can't have real bass with anything less than 10" drivers!!)

hope this helps...

I've got a '99 SR5 4 Runner and I'd like to make some upgrades in the > speakers. I'd appreciate some ideas from those who've made similar upgrades. > I'm not interested in replacing the head units etc. at this time. I'd also > like to hear from anyone with any good ideas as to adding an unobtrusive sub > woofer. > > thanks, > Mike > >
Reply to
Kryptoknight

Some of the best sounding speakers i have heard are the JVC's

Go listen to some with familiar music (your own CD) and dont look at price or name. That has no meaning when they are hidden behind the grilles. Find ones that fit ,then a sound YOU Like then go with price. etc.

Reply to
Im Right

I really appreciate the responses, but I guess I should have been more clear. I'm fairly aware of the types of speakers out there as far as name brands go and I usually let my ears determine my needs. I'm looking more for specific models that fit with a minimum of hassle. Coaxials, triaxials, etc. that would be an improvement on the OEM speakers (what are they anyway?) but wouldn't require a shoehorn or major mods. Suggestions like amps under the front seat are a help, but I'm really looking for specifics that other folks have been happy with, or pitfalls to avoid for that matter. Anyone ever try one of those subwoofer setups that fit in the rear storage area near the fender well? Anyone ever try self-powered subs? Or am I just better off calling Crutchfield?

Mike

Reply to
Michael McCollum

Crutchfield recommendations are guaranteed to fit --- they send instructions (panels are often tricky to remove), wiring pigtails, and any req'd adapter plates. I've used them several times and always happpy with products and service (used Sony and Kenwood 3 way speakers). Compared to OEM ones --- significant difference.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Mike

Reply to
Michael McCollum