Re: Volkswagon unveils car that gets 282 miles to the gallon.

| > Automatic transmission is a specific type of automatic shifting | > mechanism. | | No, it's not. | | An automatic transmission is simply one that's automatic and doesn't | require the driver to shift. It can take on any form--for example, like | the Prius's power split device. Or a belt-driven CVT. | | Or even the Honda automatic transmission, which is nothing like the GM | trannies. | | | | > What they've done is taken a standard manual shift transmission and | > strapped an automatic shifting aparatus to it. | | Which makes it (wait for it....)....an automatic transmission. |

VW had an Auto-Stick shift option for the original Beetle for some production years. It could also be shifted manually if the driver chose to do it. My sister had one when she lived outside of Denver.

Reply to
Jarhead