Removing Gas Tank on a 2006 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab

I must drop the tank after mistakingly putting a bad gallon of fuel in the tank so I can properely drain and clean. Can anyone please walk me thru the procedure? Barry / Vermont

Reply to
Barry2006 Tacoma

What was bad about the gallon of fuel?

-Diesel?

-Had oil in it, maybe intended for the lawnmower?

-Other reason?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

diesel+ sludge less than a gallon but the truck won't idle at all. I tried a small tube down the fill pipe with a pump but could not get the tube all the way down into the tank. I think there is an anti siphon device in the base of the tube?

Reply to
Barry2006 Tacoma

I know you didn't ask how to install a new fuel pump, but hear me out. I've got a Tacoma myself with a TRD supercharger installed. The supercharger requires a greater fuel output, and some of my friends with the blower have installed bigger fuel pumps without removing the fuel tank. Believe it or don't, but it's actually easier to raise the bed rather than drop the tank in order to install a higher-output fuel pump. The pump is inside the fuel tank, so either the tank must be dropped or the bed must come off in order to do the fuel pump swap. If you remove the bed bolts on the driver's side of the bed, and loosen the bolts on the passenger's side, you can tilt the bed upwards to get access to the fule pump without completely removing the bed. With the pump out of the way, you shoud be able to get your hand inside the tank so you can remove the fuel with a suction tube.

If you need more info, come over to customtacos.com

Reply to
Radrunner

Still would rather remove the tank so I can do a more thorough job cleaning up inside.The was old slude in the kerosene jug and I don't want to screw up the injectors if I can help it, Aside from the two bolts holding the tank straps and the fuel pump wire connection, what else must be disconnected? Does the fill tube just slide into the tank or are their any mechanical connections to seperate the tube?

Reply to
Barry2006 Tacoma

Barry, I'll be back in the shop on friday and can print you out the instructions from the FRM. If you have a fax# I can send it your way.

Reply to
qslim

If you don't find the info for free, you can try techinfo.toyota.com. $10 gets you 24 hours of access to all of the service manuals.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Thanks QSlim and Group. Got a pretty concise reply off another board. Fiqure I'd post it here in case someone else is in my predicament. If my last name was Toyota, the tank would have a drain plug !!!

Originally Posted by 05TuRDSPORT "To start you have to discharge the fuel pressure. Disconnect youe negative battery cable, go into the fuse block right next to the battery and remove the Circuit Opening Relay. Reconnect your negative battery cable and start the truck up until it dies, but turn the ignition switch back to ON. You might have a Check Engine Light come on but you can go to Advance Auto Parts and have them reset it for free. Crank the truck to make sure their is no fuel pressure left in it. Remove the fuel tank cap, and reinstall the Circuit Opening Relay. Disconnect yur negative battery cable again. If you have the TRD off-road package, remove the skid plate that covers the tank. Their is two fuel lines that go to the tank. One is the main line, and the other is the return line. Remove the clamp that holds them together. Their should be a connection in the lines at the clamp. You have to pinch the sides of the connectors, and pull the each line apart so that the lines are disconnected. Dont use any tools when you do this, because you dont wanna screw the connectors up. Put a plastic bag over the connecters to protect them from dirt and contaminants. On the filler neck, thiers two tubes that run up with it. about half way up, their should be a hose clamp around the fill tube. loosen that. Remove the breather tube that runs up with the filler neck. On the third tube, thier should be another connector like the other ones, disconnect that and protect it with a plastic bag or something. Now you need to support the tank in someway. Remove the two fuel tank bands by first removing the two bolts on the one side of the bands, and then the the clip and pin on the other side of the bands. Slightly lower the tank to remove the fuel filler neck, but dont bring it down to far so you dont braek or stretch the wires. Remove the fuel pump cover and disconnect the fuel pump connector. Thier should be one more tube coming out of the tank, the fuel tank vent hose, and thier should be another connecter for it on or near the charcol canister. Pinch the connector together and pull the tube out, and protect the connector with a plastic bag. Make sure everything is disconnected from the tank and then drop the tank down all of the way. If you have any more questions, pm me."

Reply to
Barry2006 Tacoma

dont forget your fuel filter is now toast, replace it.

Reply to
dissembler