Roaring noise from front end..

My '96 T100 2WD just started making a roaring noise that comes from the front end - passenger side. Thinking it might be the tires I had them rotated and balanced but the noised stayed.. Wheel bearings? Is this something a DIYer can do or should I be calling garages? The outer bearing looks pretty standard but not sure about the inner bearing. Do you replace the hub? And info/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Wormsign

Reply to
WormSign

In my experience bad bearings do not roar. They sqreech or squeel. Also, does the roar increase with speed? Does it change when you make a turn? How do you know for sure that it is from the passenger side? My fan clutch sounded like it was on the passenger side when it went out on my '87 PU.

Reply to
Jarhead

Reply to
WormSign

| > In my experience bad bearings do not roar. They sqreech or squeel. Also, | > does the roar increase with speed? Does it change when you make a turn? | > How do you know for sure that it is from the passenger side? My fan | > clutch sounded like it was on the passenger side when it went out on my | > '87 PU. | >

| > -- | > Jarhead | >

Reply to
Jarhead

Whether or not a DIYer can do it depends heavily on the problem and the skill of the DIYer. I'm from the school whare if you gotta ask ...

Personally, I think your issue is the brakes. But, you will find this out as you are looking for the wheel bearings.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If it's making that much noise you ought to be able to find the problem by jacking up the front wheels and rotating each one to see if the noise happens. By removing the brake pads and then rotating the wheel you should be able to isolate it to the bearings. Bearings often make a variety of noises when they start to go bad but when they finally fail a loud grinding noise is typical. A roar is a good description. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al