one shot on brake disk - 110

As above. Failed it's MOT on O/S brakes conatminated. This turns out to be one shot swivel grease getting onto the inner surface of the front disk. I've googled the group for good advice about what else to change whilst there etc.

I will be renewing the complete swivel assembly later, since the seal there is worn also, but for the MOT I just want to stop the leak. This looks like the inner bearing hub seal? If so, what else do I need to get for reassembly? So far the parts book seems to show a paper washer, lock tab, and the inner seal itself....

I don't want to have it stripped and unable to finish due to local dealer not having parts, so any help greatly appreciated, thanks...

Reply to
danny

For the MOT - just flush the swivel though with EP90 and drain it completely

- there won't be anything to contaminate the brakes then. Fix it later.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

It's unlikely to be grease from the swivels - just bearing grease from the hub. Change the seal and check that the axle breather is clear.

David

Reply to
Dougal

It was definiely one shot grease from the swivel. I've changed the hub seal (they only use one nowadays). The bearings looked fine, and I've renewed the paper gasket and locking washer. All seems fine. There was copious amounts of grease on the disk and the inner pad was soaked. Everyone wanted £40 for pads except for Camberley Auto factors, who were less than half that, so replaced pads, checked axle breather and job done. My neighbour, who does these jobs with/for me, also has lots of gizmos so he used a DTI to check the free play in the hub etc.

Still have to probably get new swivels and replace the seals too, but later. How much *is* bad pitting on a swivel - there are a couple of rust spots (areas of roughness), which I assume would wreck new seals?

Reply to
danny

advice for MOT . if you are wanting to rid the grease etc for the MOT so you have got rid of any oily stains etc . get the contaminted area and all under the vehicle thoroughly steam cleaned and take it back for another MOT inspection asap .

Reply to
M0bcg