A1 Front Wheel Bearing Upgrade (?)

Hi NG: The beast has been sitting in one place for over a year, and when spring comes I'll be changing at least one front wheel bearing. However, this is a regular maintenance item that I'd like to do a little less regularly, esp. since VW keeps raising the price of the part. To wit, is there a more rugged bearing available that will fit, perhaps from a later model such as Corrado (or any vehicle with the same overall bearing dimensions)? I'm prepared to bore out the housing slightly if necessary. Thanks in advance, H2Only

83½ Scirocco
Reply to
H2Only

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Reply to
skydivertu

Rapid Parts in NY used to advertize A1 front bearings that they had repacked with Spectro grease for heavy duty use. I assume they still sell them. I bought two new front bearings (with regular grease) and rented the press from them back around 1996. It was all straighforward work. It cost less than $100 back then included the shipping back and forth.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02 (Remove the CAT to email me)
Reply to
William Maslin