Rod knock

My 87 4runner (22re) has a knock on the #2 cylinder. It sounds like it's coming from the bearing area. After about 15 minutes of driving the knock goes away. The oil pressure is good, even at idle. My question is; Any idea how long this motor may run with this condition?

Reply to
chuck

Till the rod comes through the oil pan

Reply to
John

Thanks, that tells me alot.

Reply to
chuck

Are you sure it's a rod knock? I don't think it would go away after driving.

On the other hand, piston slap is notable for disappearing after the engine warms up (piston expands). Many modern engines seem to have that problem because of the short piston skirts in common use. GM's Vortec line is notorious for that.

Dick Ballard snipped-for-privacy@att.net

Reply to
Dick Ballard

The way it goes away after driving sure leaves me hoping for the best. It has done this for 1500 miles and hasn't changed. It sure is loud for about 15 minutes (mainly noticable when accelerating) then fades to nothing.

Reply to
chuck

Sounds more like a wrist pin. Try removing the plug wire when you first start the motor. If there isn't a knock it is more than likely the wrist pin.

Bill

Reply to
c17_simtech