Skipping a tooth?

Just changed the timing chain and the engine will start when cold, but dies when hot. I was told that I might have "skipped a tooth" so I should check that. When I hear "skipped a tooth" in this sense are we talking about skipping a tooth with the timing chain or with the distributor drive gear? Also, is there any way to adjust the timing chain without taking the cover off? I know it sounds a little crazy, but would it be possible to take the cam sprocket off the camshaft and drop the oil pan, push in the tensioner, and adjust it that way without having to remove the head, timing chain cover, etc...?

Reply to
Spencer Fowers

If you don't pull the front cover, how will you be able to tell if you skipped a tooth on the crank shaft gear?

Reply to
?reality