speedometer/odometer broken, please help

I have a 1991 toyota 4X4 pickup with 4 clyinder engine. My speedometer/odometer stopped working. I replaced the cable a few years back so I thought that was the problem again. I disconnected the cable from the back of the instrument cluster and drove around and it's not turning. I disconnected it from the transmission and turned the end with my fingers and the wife confirmed that the end in the cab is turning... so, the cable is fine. I also took out the 3 inch connecter "thing" that is held in into the transmission by a bolt and retainer and connected that to the cable... turned the end of THAT and again my wife confirmed that it was turning behind the instrument cluster. The 3 inch long connecter thing seems to be connecting to the transmission. I can see the little gear in the transmission that connects to the gear on the 3 inch thingy connector. I put it all back together and drove around and the cable does NOT turn. So, I'm thinking that there is some problem in the transmission.

Anybody have a solution??

thanks, Wayne

Reply to
wcd

If the cable does not turn inside the cab, then the trouble has to be EITHER the gear at the transmission end of the cable, or the gear inside the transmission.

HINT The gear on the end of the cable can be turned in its mount to accomodate various gear sizes that might be selected to correct for various tire sizes and gear rations. If one buys larger tires, the speedo will no longer be accurate, and one would swap the gear to make the correction. Atlernatively, if one changed the gear ratio in the differential(s), the speedo would also be inaccurate, swapping the gear would correct for this. If one swapped the gears in the diff(s) and bought oversize tires, then swapping the speedo gear would correct for the resulting error.

When the gear is installed, it MUST be turned to properly mesh with the gear inside the trans (tcase). If the gear is not turned to properly mesh with the gear inside the trans, then the gear inside the trans can become damaged over time.

I suggest loosening the mounting screw and puling the gear and its mounting assembly out and looking at what is happening inside the trans. Then, put the gear back in, and twist the assembly to mesh the gears -- the gear you just looked at and the gear that is inside the trans/tcase. My guess is that you have no clue that the gear can be changed to correct for error that come from tires and gear ration changes, and you putthe gear in, but failed to twist it in the mounting hole to force the gears to mesh.

If you look closely at the case of the transmission or transfer case, you should notice markings (26, 27, 28, or whatever) that denote the proper alignment of the various speedo gears that can be used. Count the teeth on your current speedo gear, and then align the mark on the housing with the appropriate number on the case of the trans. (If you have a 4WD, the gear will be found in the transfer case.)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Or the locking mrech at the end of the cable that was knackered when ya last replaced the cable. The gear can spin but no way it can grasp the cable to spin, just a thought.

Reply to
Scotty