Trouble replacing AX speedo cable

Don't you just love the Haynes manual, it makes everyting sound so simple e.g. 'fitting new speedo cable is the reverse of removing it', which in all fairness, makes sense apart from I can't get the bloody thing to poke through the rear of the instument cluster!

It's a 1993 Ciroen AX 1ltr, and the cable comes in two parts. The part that fits into the transmission is fine. The other part can only be fed into the dash from the engine compartment. I've removed the instrument cluster and the various bits of the dash around and under the steering wheel.

The old one had sheared inside the dash so I had no way of attaching some string to use as a guide for the new one. Now I can't get the cable to feed through anywhere close to the instrument cluster! (plus to make things worse, the plastic clip that goes on the back of the instrument cluster bounced off part of the engine and broke!!).

I've tried routing a co-axial cable because it's thinnner but still rigid enough to feed through the dash. I was hoping to create the route for the speedo cable, attach some string and use as a guide to pull the speedo cable though. No such luck!

No wonder these cables sheer off, they start on the drivers side, make their way across the dash to the passenger side, through the bulk head and doubles back towards the transmission, which is in the middle of the engine bay!!

Any ideas, suggestions and help would be much appreciated,

thanks in advance,

Irwin

Reply to
Irwin