Splicing O2 sensor wire - shielded!?

1993, 4WD, 22RE.

The wire bundle going to the back of the truck fell off of the hanger and landed on the exhaust (sometime ago). I was in the mountains at the time and managed to wrap everything up and seemed like everything still worked, so I scheduled the repair for a later time. Three or so years later, I'm replacing the exhaust (down pipe back) and figured this is the time to cut/splice the burned sections and make it nice again. Everything was fine until I cut out the damaged O2 sensor wire.. I didn't know that the O2 sensor wire is shielded, if only I had got curious about the dashed lines on the schematic. Been a while since I read one - my only excuse.

I can't tell if the shields are grounded but they do appear on the schematic that they are connected together at the junction box(?). If they aren't grounded, what would be the point? Where I am making the splices, it's just before the O2 sensor connectors. So I think my question is:

Can I just splice the signal wire and ignore the shield or do I (somehow) have to splice the complete coax wire. Something I don't recall ever doing.

Sure hope somebody can give me some advice, as my truck is basic transportation and I need to get going.

thanks! jim

Reply to
jim

There are three ways to splice coax the easiest is to just join (solder) and insulate the two wires and environmentally seal a weatherpack or sealed joiner

if the wire size permits, or use a coax joiner either crimp or solder type the later doesn't require special tools and again environmentally seal. The environmental sealing is important if the splice is in the weather as corrosion will set in otherwise.Joe

Reply to
Jodabo

Thanks for the reply! I needed to get that little project moving, so I ended up just splicing the center conductor and let the outer shield float, which I regret now. I didn't do the one check which would be to see if the outer conductor's on both O2 sensors were connected (but I only had access to the one damaged wire). If they are, then I left about 2 foot of the secondary O2 sensor wire unshielded. But the truck runs fine and the 'check engine' light doesn't come on...

However, I am going to redo that whole affair as I really didn't have the best repair materials. I could only walk as far as the Radio Shack at the mall. I want to get those "Adhesive Lined Heat Shrink Butt Connectors" from weatherpack.com (retails from Belden?). I remember now using those or something like them in the past and they are wonderful. Thanks for that link.

-jim

Jodabo wrote:

Reply to
jim