Sucky rear-window defroster in '03 4Runner

Anyone else discover this new 'feature'. Burns my ass this the engineers let this into production. Dealer will receive complaint on next oil change.

Reply to
Bob H
2001 Avalon rear defroster also useless. Can't believe Consumer Reports missed this and other similar features. Dealer says it is working the same as other Avalons.

engineers

Reply to
Art Begun

How can we, we have no idea what your problem is. Oh, did you know it wont work if your rear window isnt rolled all the way to the top?

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Art, you have a real high humidity condition in your car, its a direct result of moist and excessive amounts of hot air. :-D

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Hahahhahaaa!

Reply to
Philip®

Since we are on the subject on windows, and defrosters, who thought of the automatic climate control? and why not throw air at the front window first? I always have problems with the front window being foggy, especially when it rains, and first turning on the car. Same problem in my Lexus SC 330 and

2003 4 runner. I have to put the fan on medium to max, and direct the climate control at the window...
Reply to
Dan J.S.

As the weather has recently gone cold I'm noticing similar problems with my 2004 Corolla. The rear window defroster sucks big time. Not nearly as good as my 92 Corolla's (which as I recall, was not nearly as good as any earlier cars I had owned).

On my 92 Corolla I could start the car and turn on the defroster. I would scrap the side windows first and by then the rear window would have signs of thawing along the wires and would scrap easier. If not I would scrap the front the window and do the rear window last. Now I can drive for 15 minutes before I see any sign of the window defrosting, and after 30 minutes it is still struggling to clear the window.

So I am guessing the 4runner, the Avalon and the Corolla have all been designed to use a lower power defroster. Was that tested in a Japanese climate? Because it is only December here and already it is a pain in the neck.

On top of that, I am also seeing frost on the inside of the front window. That was a rare occurence on the old Corolla.

Steve

Reply to
red rover

Chrysler has been doing that at least since the 94 LHS I had with auto climate control. Same great system in my 99 300M. Ford did not do it in the 2 91 Taurus's I had with auto climate control. The 2001 Avalon auto climate control is so bad that it isn't worth discussing.

Reply to
Art Begun

H'mm, I posted an hour or two ago and don't see my post yet.

I would add that the 2004 Corolla's defroster is also pretty useless (much worse than my 92 Corolla).

The heater is also under-powered (and I'm noticing this in November/December). God help me when it really gets cold.

Steve

Reply to
red rover

Yet disable the automatic feature and go manual and guess what? Works. :)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

...and people wonder why I'm still running my '92 Corolla wagon?

Newer may not always be better...IMHO

Scott in Florida

Reply to
Scott in Fla

I just got a reading of 144 degrees F at the dash registers with a fully warmed engine. Isn't that enough? (2003 Corolla).

Reply to
Philip®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Scott in Fla being of bellicose mind posted:

No -wonder-.... with money, you're tighter than a duck's ass against water.

Reply to
Philip®

What temperature was the intake air? Heat transfer depends on a lot of things!

As I explained earlier, "fully warmed engine" is a rarity on frosty mornings here!

|>)))

Dan

Reply to
Dan Gates

When I rolled the car out this morning, the car's ambient thermometer said 43 degrees. BTW, after three miles this morning, the dash register showed 158 degrees. Why do ANY of you polar bears expect ANY heat from the heater for the first mile? ;-)

Reply to
Philip®

LOL

Well in terms of automobiles...yes!

...saves more for fun things in life

Scott in Florida

Reply to
Scott in Fla

First Mile????? My morning drive is 8 km (5 m +/-) and, in full-on winter, I rarely have heat before I get to the office. If I go out and start the car 5 minutes before I want to go anywhere, then I get heat.

The only good thing about dropping my kids off at school is that I now get heat before I pull into the office garage.

|>))))

Dan

Reply to
Dan Gates

Generally automatic climate controlled vehicles DO send more air to the defrost mode when the outside temperature is below

35 degrees. Perhaps yours in not functioning properly?

mike hunt

"Dan J.S." wrote:

Reply to
BrickMason

discussing.

Supposed next time I will buy a different brand car and guess what.... it will work.

Reply to
Art Begun

Generally you are wrong Mike.

thought of the