supra question

my 86 1/2 supra's clutch petal went limp and there's a leak. could it be a simple as replacing a seal and bleeding it? the supra groups is extinct, and i have a toy truck so whatever.

Reply to
someone

It COULD be. Where is it leaking, master or slave, or is a line broken? Has the fluid ever been changed? Changed regularly? If not, moisture in thefluid (it is hygroscopic) may have corroded the slave cyl, or even the master (less likely).

We need more information - but the master cyl and the slave should still be available - and the chances of the slave being repairable if it is leaking and the fluid has not been changed every couple years is pretty slim. They CAN be resleaved if new replacements are not available.

Reply to
clare

the leak seems to be where the pedal rod goes into the tranny. the reservoir is full of coffee colored brake fluid, which i know is bad. where is the bleeder, also only reached from under? the crappy service manual has pictures that don't show or explain. i figured out pedal height, but the rod length only had one nut. japanese bikes are so damn easy, i can balance 4 carbs on a

750k by ear or rebuild an sr asleep, but the cars really piss me off for repairs. changing a starter on a supra is unbelievably hard if you don't take the body apart. you can turn a socket 1 click at a time. i wish it was my 87 2x4 truck, but i do love that supra, too.
Reply to
someone

Sounds like the clutch slave cylinder is gone.

Reply to
SnoBrdr

is that a major repair? bare in mind it's being done in a driveway with jackstands and a bike mechanic. is there a guide simewhere? thanks

Reply to
someone

It's been 20 years since I did that job on a Supra - IIRC it is a self adjusting system and the bleeder is on the cyl. I suspect you should be looking for a replacement cyl, and DEFINITELY flush the fluid!! If changed every 2 years, those things last virtually forever. If it has never been changed, you have been extremely lucky for it to last this long - buy some lottery tickets!!!

You think that Supra is hard to work on, try a Caddy Northstar, or a PT Cruiser, or a 6 cyl Mystique/Mondeo

Reply to
clare

yeah they suck wind, i've heard. remember the 70's caddy's wiring that fried in 6 months? i don't know the vehicle's history but the fluid needs changing. can i rebuil the cyl or is replacement the only way? and i ask again if there are instructions somewhere? google was unhelpful unless i missed something.

Reply to
someone

You can buy a brand new one for anywhere from $15 to $50 on line, and a kit - if you can get it, would likely be about $15 - and the chances of being able to rebuild it successfully are somewhere around

1 in 50 to 1 in 200., depending whether it is iron or alu
Reply to
clare

Rock auto has BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0728716 for about $21.00

The Dorman kit is about $8.00

Reply to
clare

i think i can spring for new. whats the correct name of the sucker? i appreciate the help. local scum said i need a new clutch and were talking big money. i'm sure the real repair would have been extra.

Reply to
someone

is quality equal and what am i ordering by name? should i use brake fluid like the manual says. it doesn't sound right but the japanese go their own way.

Reply to
someone

ignore the what part questions. i just reversed your info and have it. $8 or 21, it won't hurt all day.

Reply to
someone

Clutch slave cyl

Reply to
clare

The Dorman KIT is just the rubber bits that won't do the job for you, and yes, you use brake fluid, like every manufacturer that has used hydraulic controlled clutches on cars and trucks has done for decades. It's not a "Japanese" thing.

Reply to
clare

ok. it still seems kinda weird but whatever works.

Reply to
someone