Tacoma replacement engine, no spark, won't start

I have a 1998 Toyota Tacoma with just under 200k miles on it. While on a road trip, the engine threw a rod. My neighbor told me that if I found a replacement engine, he could swap it for me. So, i got an engine, had the truck towed back to the house. A long story short, got the new engine in, everything hooked back up and it won't start...

After some digging around, we found that there is no spark at any of the spark plugs. I dug around on the internet and found a couple of suggestions that i tried. One was to hook a light probe up to the +12 of the battery and touch the 2nd to the left wire on the plug that goes to one of the coil packs. When you crank the truck the light should flash indicating that it is sending a signal to the coil to tell it to fire. No flashing light, the bulb stays dimly lit. I checked the voltage on the wire and it is approx. 8 volts.

Today a friend brought over his OBD II scanner and we hooked it up to the truck and the codes it returned were P1300, P1310. Both are "Igniter Circuit Malfunction". Well, that doesn't tell me anything that i already didn't know.

The engine sounds strong like it wants to start but just won't. I'm at a loss and am going to take it to a mechanic but i would really like to get it fixed myself.

Any ideas what else i could try?

Reply to
chrisw669

Have you checked your cam and crank sensors yet ?

Reply to
Mike

I check the resistance on both and they where within the limits.

Reply to
chrisw669

Reply to
jperry