Tacoma Windshield Wipers

Hi-

If anyone knows what the signs are for replacing windshield wipers, please let me know. I ran a cloth along both of the wipers and got a lot of black stuff that keeps runnng off. I don't want to get any window scratches from worn-out wipers.

Thanks for your help.

-Oscar

Reply to
oscar jean

They're done. Buy new rubber refills. Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

My guess is the black is merely the oxidation process that goes on while rubbers break down; hence, it's rubber that's on your cloth. If the wiper blades are not doing a good job anymore, replace them.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Sabine

Just change them once a year, and stop worrying. It's not the rubber that scratches the glass, it's the metal underneath it when the rubber rips and falls off, and it takes them at least 2 or 3 years to get that bad.

The inserts ($4) are a lot less money than the full arm ($10- $20 each) but get them only if you can install them properly (or have someone else do it). Don't put the inserts in the arms properly, and there's a guaranteed scratched windshield ($200 - $500).

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I want to get a good winter wiper for my Tacoma...one that freezing rain won't hinder its wiping abilities and able to do a good job wiping off salt and snow from windshield. Recommendations?

Reply to
Brad P

Embeded dirt will do a number on the glass too. Scrub the blade surface when you give the rest of the car a bath and when you clean the windshield at the service station.

Reply to
Bard

Any of the so-called "Arctic" or "Winter" blades where all the wiper except the wiping edge is completely covered by a rubber boot. Trico, Anco, and others make them. Check any good auto parts store. Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

I've used the Trico brand winter blades that has a rubber boot over the whole blade and they work well. I also use the Trico Teflon blade and they last longer than anything else I've tried. The Teflon blade isn't covered though and will clog with ice and snow. Hope this helps, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92