Tfr case stuck in 4x4

98 Tacoma manual hubs transfer case is stuck in 4x4. Shifting through gears does nothing to alleviate the problem. what is wrong? (glad it has manual hubs!)
Reply to
Bill Davis

What caused it to get stuck in the first place? Perhaps it is common drivetrain binding from driving in 4WD on a high traction surface, like pavement. If so, it should loosen up and allow for shifting back to

2WD. Does the t-cace shifter move at all? If it does move, then it may have popped out of the shift rails inside the t-case. Usually 4 bolts to pull the shifter base for a look inside.
Reply to
Roger Brown

I don't know; it was fine last week but now it's stuck. I did take it out yesterday on my usual run to the mine and noticed nothing different until I got home and was cleaning it today. Yes it shifts through the gears fine except for some chatter going into 4 wd High. Putting the T Case in neutral makes no difference either. I though nothing was engaged in that position?

: > 98 Tacoma manual hubs transfer case is stuck in 4x4. Shifting through : > gears does nothing to alleviate the problem. what is wrong? (glad it has : > manual hubs!) : : What caused it to get stuck in the first place? Perhaps it is common : drivetrain binding from driving in 4WD on a high traction surface, like : pavement. If so, it should loosen up and allow for shifting back to : 2WD. Does the t-cace shifter move at all? If it does move, then it may : have popped out of the shift rails inside the t-case. Usually 4 bolts : to pull the shifter base for a look inside.

Reply to
Bill Davis

With a single stick shifter, there is no true neutral in the transfer case. The neutral position is still in 4WD, so front and rear driveshafts are still connected, just not getting any power from the transmission. There are twin stick shifter conversions that split the

2-4 and H-N-L functions apart and let you get a 2WD-Neutral.

It may be that the shifter popped out of the shift rails inside the case. A quick look inside would be able to tell that. I've had my

4Runner case bind up in 4WD (drove onto a paved section at the end of a trail we were running). Unlocking the hubs didn't help unload things, but I drove along for a ways, holding some light pressure on the t-case shifter and it popped back into 2WD in a few hundred yards. Sometimes going in reverse can help, too. I now get in the habit of pushing the case into 2WD while driving straight ahead on dirt/gravel just before hitting pavement.
Reply to
Roger Brown

: : It may be that the shifter popped out of the shift rails inside the : case. A quick look inside would be able to tell that. I've had my : 4Runner case bind up in 4WD (drove onto a paved section at the end of a : trail we were running). Unlocking the hubs didn't help unload things, : but I drove along for a ways, holding some light pressure on the t-case : shifter and it popped back into 2WD in a few hundred yards. Sometimes : going in reverse can help, too. I now get in the habit of pushing the : case into 2WD while driving straight ahead on dirt/gravel just before : hitting pavement.

I haven't tried the reverse trick yet. How far do you have to go in reverse? I was on dirt all day when I used 4x4. It's the same routine every weekend. If the "shifter popped out of the shift rails," how is that fixed?

Reply to
Bill Davis

Sometimes only a few feet, sometimes more.

Pull out out and stick it back into the right place.

It could also be that something inside the t-case popped out of place.

Reply to
Roger Brown