Tie Rod / tire wear

Hello all,

I took my 96 4runner to pep boys (okay, flame away, I was in a hurry) to have the tires balanced / rotated a few weeks ago, when I got back, the truck shook worse than when it got there. Unfortunately this was right before I was moving out of state, so I never took the truck back to have them repair it. Now, today I took the truck into a local pepboys and they balanced the tires under their lifetime balancing warranty. However, they also pointed at some movement in the left front tire and said that the inner tie rod was likely gone. He proceeded to say that I had obviously been rotating the tires as the wear from this was even on all 4 wheels. here's the thing, the tires have 30,000 + on them and were rotated for the first time when they were balanced before I left on the move. ( I know, shame on me) so, I'm thinking that this guy is full of it, however, he also said that his shop could not replace the part, so its not like he was looking to drum up business. Aside from taking the truck into a decent alignment / front end shop - which I will do - what do you guys think? The truck never really shook before taking it in to rotate the tires.

Dave

Reply to
zephyr

Get a second opinion from a reputable tire shop. It sounds like your suspicions are well founded. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Jack up the truck by the frame in the front, (this really needs two people, so get a buddy) have your buddy "shake" the suspect tire side to side. While you are under looking at the tie rod ends. do you see movement? Next, grasp the tie rod end at the joint, again, have your buddy shake the tire side to side, do you feel movement in the joint. If you see or feel movement then get it replaced, then aligned. If you plan on replacing the parts yourself, do yourself and the alignment tech a favor and buy the adjusting sleeves as well.

NOTE: When shaking the tire grasp it at 9 and 3 oclock positions, shake side to side.

A1) shaking at 12 and 6 Oclock will show bad ball joints

A2) shaking at 8 and 2 will show bearing issues

Searcher

Reply to
Searcher1

I've never worked on such things, but I'm wondering why (or how, or in what way?) new adjusting sleeves help with alignment. As I re-read my question, it sounds like I'm trying to be a wise-guy, but I can't seem to come up with a way that doesn't sound like that. Hmmm. I really am just curious (in part because I intend to check out my '88 Toy truck, and maybe do this kind of work myself, if it needs it.

Wheel bearings? Or Rod End bearings? I know I should know these things, but I don't.

Thanks for your posts.

Reply to
tbl