Tacoma Windshield Wiper Motor Replacement

Can anyone advise me the best method to use to replace my wiper motor? Removing the old motor was a snap, but inserting the new motor (which has a ball that inserts into the socket of the wiper assembly) is proving difficult. There is only a small hole in the firewall to work through, and as the wiper assembly is not stationary, I can't keep that side of the connection lined up and steady to insert the motor. I removed the plastic grate between the windshield and hood, hoping to find another access hole, but there is none. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Reply to
roadhunter

How about a helper to hold the wiper transmission in place while you line up the motor, or duct tape or baling wire?

Reply to
Ray O

For $10.00, you can buy one day's access to the official genuine service manual, right here:

Includes secret decoder ring. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I paid my $10, for nothing. The only mention of a wiper motor replacement procedure on Toyota's horribly designed site basically tells me to just put the motor back in. No mention whatsoever of how, and no illustrations. I've asked for my money back, and would advise everyone against spending money to use this site. I'm no computer idiot, either, and I know a bad web site when I see one. Too bad Toyota can't program like they can build vehicles.

Reply to
roadhunter

Did you check this out at autozone.com ?

Seems that you pull the arm out enough and snap in the linkage then you replave the motor. They say it should snap in place but you have to exactally align with the ball before snapping them together.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

My understanding is that the site has electronic versions of the factory repair manuals. The FRM's are written for dealership technicians and for the most part assumes that if you got it out, you can get it back in. Haynes manuals are written with the consumer in mind but may omit some operations that few people would ever undertake.

Reply to
Ray O

I'd agree with you there, so Toyota should stop offering $10 one day access to the general public.

Reply to
roadhunter

There are lots of us "general public" types who CAN use those documents.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I imagine there are cases in which that is true, but I would recommend someone first buy a Chilton's guide. Mine seems much more complete than anything Toyota had online, and their site's search engine is the worst I have ever used.

Reply to
roadhunter