torsion bar lift and shock length

Hello, I have a 94 reg cab w/ a torsion bar lift in the front and 32" tires. I'm planning on adding a 1" body lift and 33" tires. I want to replace my stock shocks w/ aftermarket shocks to better handle the larger tires, lift, etc. I'm assuming the current torsion lift amount is around 1.5". My question is: do I replace the shocks w/ stock length shocks or shocks that are made for a 1-2" lift? I had always assumed that I would need longer shocks, but looking under my truck now, it doesn't appear that the torsion lift has had an affect on the shocks, that is, they don't appear to be pulled any longer than stock. Thanks for the help. Jason

Reply to
Jason McDannold

With the t-bar lift, you have not changed the total travel of the front suspension, you've only changed the ride height. You won't have any extra compression or droop compared to stock, so stock length shocks should be fine, assuming they don't limit travel. Some times, stock shocks are a bit short, so a simple spacer can be inserted if needed:

Roger Brown

That may be all true but to be on the safe side if you take off on of your front tires and shocks after the adjustments have been made then measure the full travel from point to point compressed and extended. Add about a 1/2" to those measurements and go to your local off-road store and they will match up a set of shocks to your measurements.

-- Tony

| > Hello, | > I have a 94 reg cab w/ a torsion bar lift in the front and 32" tires. | > I'm planning on adding a 1" body lift and 33" tires. I want to | > replace my stock shocks w/ aftermarket shocks to better handle the | > larger tires, lift, etc. I'm assuming the current torsion lift amount | > is around 1.5". My question is: do I replace the shocks w/ stock | > length shocks or shocks that are made for a 1-2" lift? I had always | > assumed that I would need longer shocks, but looking under my truck | > now, it doesn't appear that the torsion lift has had an affect on the | > shocks, that is, they don't appear to be pulled any longer than stock. | > Thanks for the help. | > Jason | | With the t-bar lift, you have not changed the total travel of the front suspension, you've only changed the ride height. You won't have any extra compression or droop compared to stock, so stock length shocks should be fine, assuming they don't limit | travel. Some times, stock shocks are a bit short, so a simple spacer can be inserted if needed: |

| | -- | Roger

Reply to
Tony

thanks for the information, guys. now that i know what to do w/ the front, what about the rear shocks?

jason

Reply to
Jason McDannold