Transmission/cruise control on 2003 4-Runner

I am curious if anyone else is experiencing this little problem with their 2003 4-Runner (V8, automatic).

When traveling on the highway and the cruise control is set, I will accelerate to pass a slower vehicle. After the pass is complete I let off the throttle and the truck will slow to the previously set speed. The problem comes in the engine rpm. It stays slightly higher (10%) than prior to the acceleration. This will stay this way for miles. If I tap the brakes to momentarily slow down and then hit the resume, the truck will speed up to the set speed and the engine will settle into the correct rpm. It is as if the lockup feature will not re-engage after the short acceleration burst. The dealer is stumped and is in the process of trying to get feedback from Toyota.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did you ever find a solution?

An interesting side note. The day after picking up my new truck, I was on my way to work when the rpms starting to cycle between 2,000 and

3,000 rpm. The cruise control was on at this time. The speed stayed constant but the engine kept jumping between what seemed like 4th and 5th gears. This only happened that one day. I am not sure if the 2 items are related.

Any comments.

Garth

Reply to
Garth Ruttig