Transmission problem

Purchased new in 2001, tacoma prerunner trd 4x2 auto trans. serviced per toyota's schedule. last month took in for 100k sevice (trans included). Mind you no problems with this truck from day one. Left the dealership, drove home. picked up the wife to go out to dinner, returning home to have the truck slam from 2nd to 3rd gear (intermittent). I pulled off the the road to check fluid levels, etc. seemed like the trans fluid levels were too high. Took back to dealership the next morning, they duplicated the problem, said that fluid levels were too high, changed the fluid again and road tested ok. 1 month later I am at a stop light, went forward and stalled. I cant put the trans in gear without the engine stalling out immediatley. towed back to the dealer and awaiting their call.Anybody out there have any ideas? TIA

Reply to
DanO

Tell them to pay for the transmission rebuild? But now they'll probably blame it on pre-existing condition. Ahhhhh, the service writer is working up a $3000 invoice there behind that stone wall.

Just a guess: the line pressure shock was probably too high than the

2-3 accumulator can eliminate and slam broke something (like a direct clutch), causing the whole thing to seize up getting in gear. Was neutral ok? reverse ok?

If any of the remaining gears still works then you can determine which clutch pack/brake band combination wasn't activated and maybe isolate it that way.

But was it a failed 2-3 accumulator? Why would the accumulator not do its job suddenly? Why high fluid level would cause this as it normally won't raise line pressure in a vented tranny case (at least not completely sealed), if there even was a pressure rise. etc etc etc. Anyone?

Reply to
johngdole

Sounds like your torque converter clutch may be stuck "on". Could be just a failed lock up solenoid.

Reply to
Mike

Well, got the BAD news...need a "remanufactured" tranny. 4K cost!!!!! the bulls__t reason was a faulty speed control solenoid, bearings worn out along with shavings, blah blah blah. Keep in mind I have babied this truck, kept up on maintenance per toyotas specs. So much for toyota reliability. I purchased as many have because of the OVERSTATED toyota reliability statements. I've gotten better/extended life from my old vw's, fords & chevys. Plus the markup for parts and maintenance far exceeds what I believe is value in the long run!!!!!! back to domestics for me and no longer a toyota customer!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dealer located in tacoma, washington, greedy with a HUGE markup on parts along with piss poor customer relations.....

Reply to
DanO

As I said, if it's the A340 series tranny then it's a piece of junk. Maybe the A440 is a bit better I don't know.

I've had good luck with Ford powertrains. Bulletproof almost. Older GMs weren't so hot and I wouldn't drive past a GM lot for a long time. Except now they have this great turnaround that really had me impressed. Yeah I know, Toyota powertrains are kinda flimsy in comparison. The new Tundra's crankshaft breaks!

They don't list on their site, but check with Jasper to see if they have what you need (3yr/75K warranty rebuilts):

Good luck!

Reply to
johngdole